Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please settle this...

Birdyfly · 17/01/2020 17:13

Is this true?

An employer can put in a policy to make you use all your holiday up?

For example, can an employer say "you have to book all of your holiday now for the rest of the year"

Thanks in advance!

OP's posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 17/01/2020 17:32

Probably

Please
or

itsboiledeggsagain · 17/01/2020 17:34

I would say so.

You have the right to leave but not the right to decide when to use it.

Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 17/01/2020 17:35

Yes, you only get to take your holiday with your employers agreement - they can specify when and when it must be decided

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 17/01/2020 17:35

Yes of course, why would that be illegal, they need to manage their business and if knowing when staff vacations are o ensure cover, then why would that be illegal? Confused

Please
or

Birdyfly · 17/01/2020 17:35

Oh that seems crazy! What happens if you need to keep a day free for emergencies etc?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BikeRunSki · 17/01/2020 17:36

In the construction industry it’s fairly common to be told when you can take leave. Time off is often allocated months in advance.

Please
or

Invisimamma · 17/01/2020 17:36

Yes they can. Many places do this, particularly emergency services. They can also cancel your leave at short notice and give you dates another time.

Please
or

RippleEffects · 17/01/2020 17:37

Yes but there would need to be fair application of it and if too ridgid it wouldn't suit people and staff would walk.

Teaching is an example of rigid employment times and no holiday flexibility.

Please
or

kirstii · 17/01/2020 17:38

It is crazy but I've definitely heard of it before, I couldn't imagine having to use my holidays up, I might not plan a trip that's in 8 months time for another 2 months so how to know the accurate dates of everything is ridiculous!

Please
or

Bluntness100 · 17/01/2020 17:48

If it's an emergancy then you need to soeak to them clearly , if you can't go to work you can't go to work. Either they can let you take an extra day or you can move a days vacation planned if they can get cover.

Businesses need to be able to ensure adequate cover. It's fine for them to want holidays notified in advance.

Emergencies should be a very rare occurance and I'd imagine most employers would be lenient if a true emergancy,

Please
or

Birdyfly · 17/01/2020 17:57

Ok thanks everyone!

OP's posts:
Please
or

katzenellenbogen · 17/01/2020 18:27

When I was a student nurse many, many years ago you were told when you would be taking your holidays.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.