Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Getting started with online freelancing

woolysage · 16/11/2018 20:04

I am in a bit of a bind! I can't register with sites like People per Hour because I don't already have a 'web presence'. I have lots of expertise designing spreadsheets, but can't think how else to 'monetise' them from home - has anyone got any tips on how to get started!

OP's posts:
Please
or

babynelly2010 · 22/11/2018 10:05

People per hour I think let's u register but they also may ask for CV. There is also website called bark.com you have to pay for leads on that one.

Please
or

Clavender · 22/11/2018 11:18

Set up a Facebook page? You could ask your friends to share it, it might be a slow way to start but better than nothing. A Facebook business page is free too.

Please
or

PiperPublickOccurrences · 23/11/2018 07:38

I've been registered for years with PPH and don't have a website or anything which I'd say constituted a "web presence". If that's what they're asking for now, set up accounts on things like Linked In. Or get a blog.

However PPH have changed their commission structure in the last year or so and it's harder to earn cash on there now.

Please
or

lazymare · 23/11/2018 07:44

Try Upwork

Please
or

woolysage · 23/11/2018 22:23

Hi Everybody
Thanks for those ideas.
It's tough to get started in anything I guess!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MaybeDoctor · 05/12/2018 15:13

I am not sure which bit is the barrier? You can register via Facebook etc, but there should also be another way via a web form.

Spend some time on your profile and also set up ‘hourlies’ that are easy to buy eg ‘I will design you a spreadsheet with macros for £40’.

The main issue is that the PPH fees are quite high and there is a lot of competition.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.