Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

GDPR and freelance writers

Estjab · 09/04/2018 08:50

Hi all, I've written a fair bit on the GDPR but applying to my own business is a different matter! Any freelance journalists/writers out there who can tell me what they have done to satisfy their clients? Thanks in advance...

OP's posts:
Please
or

Estjab · 10/04/2018 14:24

Anyone?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SuseB · 10/04/2018 14:36

Please
or

FleurDelacoeur · 10/04/2018 19:25

Honestly, absolutely nothing. I don't have my own website though and I'm not storing anything I'd class as personal details.

It's not something any client has asked about either.

Please
or

Thanksforthatamazingpost · 11/04/2018 10:05

For heavens sake don’t read that blog it is nonsense.

Just call the ICO small business helpline.

Please
or

Estjab · 11/04/2018 11:04

I thought the blog was pretty good - and aligns pretty much with what i understand the GDPR to mean for freelance writers. So how's it nonsense? it would be very helpful to know.

The ICO won't give specific advice - i've tried.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Thanksforthatamazingpost · 11/04/2018 11:20

sorry to be so grumpy. This jumped out.

The blogger has applied things she has learned about data protection law to completely different legal aspects of her business. She's like a patient who is applying her knowledge of how tumours grow to a musculoskeletal problem (not that I've ever done this....Blush)

"Changes to how I will ask clients to accept my terms and conditions

I used to send clients a copy of my terms and conditions with a quotation and said that if the client agrees to the quotation, I take that as acceptance of the terms and conditions. However, under the new GDPR, I believe this acceptance has to be more active, so I will instead ask for explicit confirmation that the client accepts the terms"

Please
or

Estjab · 30/04/2018 09:08

Revisiting this - you didn't actually say why that blog is 'nonsense' - if anyone can point out where she's legally incorrect that would be more useful! Though i can see what she says about terms and conditions is not right!!! GDPR is such a minefield.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.