Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Where to begin?

sparklingwater1 · 03/02/2020 22:40

Hi everyone!

I've never had a hobby as such and would really like to start knitting. I genuinely have no idea where to start, I looked at needles today and there were so many different types I felt myself getting a bit anxious and ended up walking away.

I've looking into some local groups for advice but they all seem to meet mid week during the day when I'm at work.

Could anyone offer up some advice to a beginner? Or point me in the right direction of where to start?

Thank you 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

elephantoverthehill · 03/02/2020 22:45

Size 4 needles, double knit wool and UTube videos. You probably can find the needles and wool in a charity shop. Ask friends and relatives, someone will surely know how to knit.

Please
or

sparklingwater1 · 03/02/2020 22:48

@elephantoverthehill thank you!

I have asked around but no one in my family seems to know anything about it. My gran passed away over 20 years ago now and from what I can gather she was the only one that did knit but anything she taught my mum or aunties has definitely been lost through the years (sadly!).

I'll have a look on YouTube I typed in knitting for beginners but again was just so many different videos!

OP's posts:
Please
or

stdmumihope · 04/02/2020 19:26

How about a book from the library? So many have 'how to' pages in them. Look for good photos of each step. Just concentrate on casting on and knit stitch to begin with. Purl stitch when you're feeling more confident.
Children's books will have simple patterns for beginners. Don't tackle anything too big for your first try!

Please
or

Wolfiefan · 04/02/2020 19:30

Are there any local yarn shops? They often have learn to sessions.

Please
or

elephantoverthehill · 04/02/2020 19:46

Some pubs and libraries have 'knit and stitch' sessions. Is it worth a look on local FB pages. I've never met a crafter who has been unwilling to pass on skills.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.