The Supreme Court ruling on April 16 last year confirmed the terms woman and sex in the 2010 Equality Act.
For Women Scotland (FWS), who celebrated a landmark legal victory a year ago, described their meeting with women and equalities minister Bridget Phillipson on Wednesday as “positive”.
The campaigners pressed for detail on changes made to draft guidance and what date they expected it to be published ahead of parliamentary scrutiny.
The updated draft code of practice – aimed at guiding businesses and other organisations on provision of single and separate-sex services such as toilets and changing rooms – had been handed to ministers by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) last September.
Despite having been described by the watchdog’s chairwoman as “legally sound”, the Government gave “feedback” and it was confirmed this week that some changes have been made to the earlier version.
FWS director Susan Smith told the Press Association they had been “a little nervous” amid concerns about it having been toned down, but – while they were not given specifics of the changes that had been made – they understood this included adding more examples for service providers on how to implement the updated code.
She told PA: “I don’t think the guidance can be watered down in the sense that whatever the EHRC comes up with has to adhere closely to the Supreme Court’s ruling.
“So I think we can be pretty confident, quietly confident, that that will be alright. I think if the changes are around strengthening advice to duty bearers, that’s a positive, because businesses and service providers will be looking for examples that they can use day-to-day.”
Article continues at https://www.perspectivemedia.com/campaigners-quietly-confident-single-sex-spaces-guidance-not-watered-down/