Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Now it is offensive to have male and female uniforms in the NHS

91 replies

SecretShambles · 27/09/2023 19:43

NHS unveils first 'national uniform' - here's what the colours mean https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12566251/NHS-unveils-national-uniform-bosses-ditch-traditional-male-female-sizes-heres-TWENTY-SEVEN-different-coloured-scrubs-mean.html?ito=native_share_article-top

Despite the fact that male and female bodies are different, every uniformed NHS worker will have to wear a unisex uniform from now on in case of offending the easily offended.

I'm fat but I'm not offended by seeing size 8 clothes on the rail when I go shopping so I'm not sure why having a male body but not identifying as a man and seeing male and female clothing is so very wrong?

NHS unveils first 'national uniform' - here's what the colours mean

Twenty-seven different coloured scrubs are to be rolled out in England to represent different roles, including midwives, dieticians, podiatrists, matrons and students.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12566251/NHS-unveils-national-uniform-bosses-ditch-traditional-male-female-sizes-heres-TWENTY-SEVEN-different-coloured-scrubs-mean.html?ito=native_share_article-top

OP posts:
Justgonefishing · 28/09/2023 09:52

Goodornot · 27/09/2023 23:26

They can't be that bad, plenty of nurses choose to wear them.

i was a manual handling trainer so yes they are that bad if you are doing physical hands on care! i dont care at all about whether uniforms are unisex or not its about whether they fit correctly, are washable at high temps, are comfortable and fit for purpose so staff aren't worried about flashing inadvertently in the midst of carrying out their work! I remember one particular Dr. on an elderly care ward who had a penchant for mini skirts , did nothing for the elderly men's blood pressure. Don't get me started on the apparent exemption for Dr's from infection control rules where they dont wear uniform for clinical roles . I worked somewhere(as AHP) during the early MRSA outbreak years where we had special rules around uniform and when we could treat infected patients whilst the Dr's merrily swung in and out and low and behold the Dr's were found to be the ones carrying MRSA. This is a typical daily mail headline that is unnecessarily alarmist and I'm more than happy for staff not to wear dresses, there is decades of male fetishisation about nurses uniform!

Mrsjayy · 28/09/2023 10:10

TeenDivided · 28/09/2023 09:51

I think colour coding is helpful, though surprised at how much needed.
When I visited A&E a few years back with DD I had no idea whether I was talking to a doctor, nurse, or someone else.

I also think 'unisex' can be problematic. DD needed overalls for college. The smallest size didn't fit around her chest, but the next size up was baggy in all sorts of other places. They were made for 31inch leg, DD is 26. We ended up paying for the arms and legs to be shortened considerably, bit the trunk length is still too long. And I haven't found anywhere that provides off the peg overalls for a 5ft adult yet Children's sizes aren't big enough in the chest. <Sorry, rant over>

I'm 4ft 11 I've been paying for alterations all my adult life it sucks but 30in is a "regular " leg length.

Mrsjayy · 28/09/2023 10:12

And women with larger busts have always had problems getting clothes to fit even .womens clothes don't fit properly.

MyLadyDisdainlsYetLiving · 28/09/2023 10:25

Mrsjayy · 28/09/2023 10:12

And women with larger busts have always had problems getting clothes to fit even .womens clothes don't fit properly.

So we’re overdue some accommodations of varying body shapes then aren’t we?

RecycleMePlease · 28/09/2023 10:44

I'm 4ft 11 I've been paying for alterations all my adult life it sucks but 30in is a "regular " leg length.

That's the average inseam for a 5'5" woman. The average height for a woman is 5'4" - so it's a regular length - but for the tall end of women.

But they fit a little bit better than mens do.

How about we put bust darts and narrower shoulders, and room for hips in the unisex and see how the men feel about it?

RedToothBrush · 28/09/2023 11:11

RecycleMePlease · 28/09/2023 10:44

That's the average inseam for a 5'5" woman. The average height for a woman is 5'4" - so it's a regular length - but for the tall end of women.

But they fit a little bit better than mens do.

How about we put bust darts and narrower shoulders, and room for hips in the unisex and see how the men feel about it?

Exactly. Gender neutral means default human aka male.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely · 28/09/2023 11:17

I am a nurse and have no issue with unisex uniform. IME female uniform just mean more fitted around the tits and who needs that? I am curvy, I just wear a larger size, it’s no issue and I’m comfortable. But bust darts just look super outdated to me, I wouldn’t wear them in or out of work.

Notlaughingalot · 28/09/2023 11:21

Buffyj · 27/09/2023 20:03

Not woke cred, just standardised uniforms. Non issue.

This. The uniforms have nothing to do with the sex of the wearer, they are about identifying the role of the person wearing them. I doubt whether most people will be able to do it though. 27 different uniforms is a lot.

InvisibleDuck · 28/09/2023 11:37

I'm short with a small waist and large hips - even with women's standard sized trousers, anything that fits over my hips and thighs is far too big at the waist and needs alterations or a belt. 'Unisex' trousers (i.e. trousers cut for a taller person with a much straighter shape) would be absurdly ill-fitting on me.

Some women have shapes that fit reasonably well into unisex clothing and they're probably the ones saying they have no problem with this. It's not true for many of us! I don't see what's wrong with having the same colors and general style for both men and women, but garments cut to fit different body shapes and leg lengths. They could even give them letter designations (type A, etc) if they don't want to upset the genderspecials by calling them men's and women's.

cushioncovers · 28/09/2023 11:59

womanone · 28/09/2023 05:58

Why does gender neutral = always have to mean 'made for men'?

I'd like to see gender neutral uniform brought in as made for women's bodies with men expected to wear trousers that end several inches above the ankle or with waists they can't get over their beer bellies.

That would soon see an end to the ridiculous idea of forcing everyone to wear clothes designed for one sex only! As if men were the ones complaining, something would be done about it!

Of course, when it's just women who are inconvenienced by this policy, nothing is done and no-one gives a shit. Hmm

Agree. Let's make unisex based on women's shape clothing and see how many men are happy to wear it. Where I work now we have lab coats that are tailored for men but are apparently unisex. Fine if you are pencil slim but anyone with curves they are a nightmare and look ridiculous.

viques · 28/09/2023 12:00

I wonder if those lovely uniforms could be displayed in a more affirming way, a rainbow perhaps…..

justasking111 · 28/09/2023 13:03

viques · 28/09/2023 12:00

I wonder if those lovely uniforms could be displayed in a more affirming way, a rainbow perhaps…..

You want to make them more expensive ffs

MyLadyDisdainlsYetLiving · 28/09/2023 13:29

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely · 28/09/2023 11:17

I am a nurse and have no issue with unisex uniform. IME female uniform just mean more fitted around the tits and who needs that? I am curvy, I just wear a larger size, it’s no issue and I’m comfortable. But bust darts just look super outdated to me, I wouldn’t wear them in or out of work.

Women’s bodies are not men’s bodies with added breasts! Thanks to the huge variety of body shape and size, not all women can wear a garment designed for a man’s body and feel comfortable or even retain her dignity (see above comments about excess fabric, gaping and unintentional flashing of cleavage).

the comment about not wearing a bust dart is just weird. Do you wear clothes with no shape at all? I know it’s the current fashion but flatters very few women.

PinkRoses1245 · 28/09/2023 13:30

feelingcrapaboutlife · 27/09/2023 19:49

We already wear scrubs. They don't do separate mail female ones, or even separate colours. This is old news.

Exactly. Why not direct your anger to an actual problem.

MyLadyDisdainlsYetLiving · 28/09/2023 14:05

PinkRoses1245 · 28/09/2023 13:30

Exactly. Why not direct your anger to an actual problem.

Wearing badly fitting, uncomfortable and undignified clothes all day every day at work is a real problem for some people.

viques · 28/09/2023 14:41

justasking111 · 28/09/2023 13:03

You want to make them more expensive ffs

No, I just want them beautifully folded , like they fold things in Gap, and displayed in a lovely positive rainbow so we can all feel safe and loved while we wait in A and E for seven hours.…………

🙂

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.