My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

''The government needs to put safeguarding first'' - outstanding article by Stephanie Davies-Arai

32 replies

Thelnebriati · 26/09/2023 10:03

''The confusion over whether children have the legal right to be “affirmed” in schools by their teachers and peers is largely the result of work by transgender activists, who have misrepresented both the function of the protected characteristics in the Equality Act and their application to children.''

''The second key point is that no protected characteristic in the Equality Act overrides the safeguarding of children. ''
''Any child proposing to “reassign their sex” does so as a child, at a child’s level of development and understanding.
If you are using a protected characteristic in a way that treats children as if they have adult levels of maturity and understanding, you are doing it wrong.''
https://thecritic.co.uk/the-government-needs-to-put-safeguarding-first/

The government needs to put safeguarding first | Stephanie Davies-Arai | The Critic Magazine

It should not allow social transitioning in schools…

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-government-needs-to-put-safeguarding-first

OP posts:
ArabellaScott · 28/09/2023 15:40

Question answered by Bridget Phillipson here at 22 minutes to about 30 minutes, if the link doesn't take you to the right spot:

She's answered about sex ed, but Justine goes on to ask BonfireLady's question about gender identity, too.

'we need guidance and clarity ... if we were elected we'd need to start that process over' ... 'open discussion' ... 'worried about women's sport' ... 'all young people [should] feel safe and protected' [there's that 'safe space' thing again] ... she does mention single sex spaces, and refuges.

Mumsnet Asks...Bridget Phillipson

On Thursday 28th September, Mumsnet founder Justine Roberts sat down with Shadow Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson MP to ask her Mumsnet users' question...

https://youtu.be/NU06BibchPA?si=-wG57inUkPlQ8r_Z&t=1463

Froodwithatowel · 28/09/2023 17:23

So a lot of waffle about needing (more) information and guidance, you know, on top of the years of it all gathered up to this point. And start a consultation all over again (that should use up about three years if done right and a lot of long grass involved in which this can all gently get embedded deeper and further) and then we can perhaps take a leaf out of the SNP book and not post the replies that are inconvenient, or the Welsh govts terrier can eat the responses we don't like, or we can just reject all the ones we don't like on the grounds that anyone who disagrees with us is transphobic like the Hampstead ponds decision.

And then at the end of all this, we can stick in our manifesto for the NEXT election that based on all this careful, sensitive consideration perhaps women's rights and child safeguarding matters are something that might need careful, sensitive consideration at some point in the future after much thought and time is committed to it.

Fuck that to the far side of fuck. And then fuck it some more. Just for pete's sake how stupid do these people think the electorate is.

BonfireLady · 28/09/2023 20:38

ArabellaScott · 28/09/2023 15:40

Question answered by Bridget Phillipson here at 22 minutes to about 30 minutes, if the link doesn't take you to the right spot:

She's answered about sex ed, but Justine goes on to ask BonfireLady's question about gender identity, too.

'we need guidance and clarity ... if we were elected we'd need to start that process over' ... 'open discussion' ... 'worried about women's sport' ... 'all young people [should] feel safe and protected' [there's that 'safe space' thing again] ... she does mention single sex spaces, and refuges.

Ooh, I'll give it a listen..... Thanks for capturing this 👍👍

BonfireLady · 28/09/2023 20:39

Froodwithatowel · 28/09/2023 17:23

So a lot of waffle about needing (more) information and guidance, you know, on top of the years of it all gathered up to this point. And start a consultation all over again (that should use up about three years if done right and a lot of long grass involved in which this can all gently get embedded deeper and further) and then we can perhaps take a leaf out of the SNP book and not post the replies that are inconvenient, or the Welsh govts terrier can eat the responses we don't like, or we can just reject all the ones we don't like on the grounds that anyone who disagrees with us is transphobic like the Hampstead ponds decision.

And then at the end of all this, we can stick in our manifesto for the NEXT election that based on all this careful, sensitive consideration perhaps women's rights and child safeguarding matters are something that might need careful, sensitive consideration at some point in the future after much thought and time is committed to it.

Fuck that to the far side of fuck. And then fuck it some more. Just for pete's sake how stupid do these people think the electorate is.

Edited

.... although I'm not getting my hopes up..... 😬😬😬🤦‍♀️

BonfireLady · 28/09/2023 22:54

Just listened to it now.

I felt a moment of optimism when she led in to the idea of balance by mentioning mental health and wellbeing being the priority...... and then came the "start over"... "take a step back"....

FFS. I guess she's not been listening to a word that her fellow labour MP Rosie Duffield has said, let alone any of the great work that Miriam Cates and Kemi Badenoch have already done. She's slamming the government for lack of action, and the press for headlines, whilst also advocating for a step back and starting all over again. I totally agree @Froodwithatowel . I'm not a fool and I won't be taken for one.

Bridget, if you're reading this - thank you for answering my question. I'm glad you're engaging with people and it's good to hear your thoughts on all of this. But I'm disappointed with the answer. Anyway, I guess you can't please everyone so I'll accept that this would be the reality of a Labour government. I've never yet been a single issue voter, and right now I feel somewhat politically homeless. However, it's now a firm no from me for Labour (I was already sceptical about the proposed GRC amendments which let self-ID through the back door) as it's now clear what this would mean for schools, school teachers and children: several more years of ambiguity for teachers to navigate and irreversible physical and mental harm for confused and vulnerable children.

ArabellaScott · 28/09/2023 23:01

https://members.parliament.uk/member/4046/contact

You can write to her here, BonfireLady.

The idea of rolling back and starting over seems bloody mad to me, too. And more about 'ew, Tories' than any rational position.

BonfireLady · 28/09/2023 23:22

ArabellaScott · 28/09/2023 23:01

https://members.parliament.uk/member/4046/contact

You can write to her here, BonfireLady.

The idea of rolling back and starting over seems bloody mad to me, too. And more about 'ew, Tories' than any rational position.

Sadly I think she might be able to ignore me writing to her (legitimately) as I'm not in her constituency. However, my own MP has been great on this. I've had a few letters back and forth. It's a bit discombobulating for me even now as he's a..... Tory. He spoke in the June debate and was excellent, so I'm almost at the point where I'd vote for him in the next election. It feels like Hobson's choice to a degree because I'm not aligned with the general Tory policies, but this issue is getting more pressing and, although Gillian Keegan is dithering on it plenty of her colleagues are not. I'm not prepared to lose that work to date (even though it's not the fastest) and see a Labour government kick it all right back to the start along with plenty more nonsense that will set it back even further. My natural leaning at a national level is still Lib Dem, but as they are remarkably quiet about anything at all, other than Ed Davey being sure that women have penises, they have been a no for a long time.

Grrrrrr. TBF none of us are in a great position right now when it comes to political options on this subject. In Scotland you've managed successfully to shake off Nicola Sturgeon's confusion about the legitimacy of rapist-gender only to be landed with Humza Yusaf and his bonkers hate crime plans. Hooray for Joanna Cherry and Neil Hanvey bringing some sane conversation.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.