Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The time has come where I'm required to teach gender identity...

OldChinaJug · 22/09/2022 17:50

What the hell do I do about this?

It's all stereotypes (obviously) and talking about people having the right to express their gender preference. Now, I don't mind teaching that some people believe it (because they do) and I have no objection teaching kindness and tolerance.

But I have a huge issue with teaching gender identify itself as some kind of 'fact'.

All I've got so far is calling in sick 😫

OP's posts:
Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 22/09/2022 17:52

Are you able to hint what sort of setting it is and what subject you teach? Sounds very difficult.

Please
or

Plasmodesmata · 22/09/2022 17:55

I'm guessing you're a secondary teacher and this is for PSHE or whatever they call it now. I have no idea what I'd do, luckily I got out of the classroom before it got me.

Please
or

Always4Brenner · 22/09/2022 17:56

What rubbish are they forcing down their throats now🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️I feel,for you I really do having to teach this.

Please
or

Flapjack637 · 22/09/2022 18:03

No advice OP but I’m just so sorry you’re having to deal with this 💐

Please
or

oopsfellover · 22/09/2022 18:06

In what context are you teaching it? Would the ‘some people believe’ or ‘some people identify as…’ approach not be possible?

Please
or

Hotandbothereds · 22/09/2022 18:08

In what setting do you have to teach this? Is this crap actually on the school curriculum?

Can you share any of the resources, it surely can’t be right this nonsense is taught as facts?

Please
or

ArabellaScott · 22/09/2022 18:11

Are you in Scotland, or elsewhere in the UK?

Please
or

JoanOgden · 22/09/2022 18:14

If you're in England, have you checked the teaching materials are consistent with DfE guidance, which says gender stereotypes should be avoided?

Please
or

bodie1890 · 22/09/2022 18:15

I imagine the way it will be taught in schools is going to be more discussion based and getting the students to talk about it and come to their own conclusions, as much of PSHE is.

I'm not a teacher but I suppose you'd teach whatever is on the curriculum, facilitate a discussion and try not to ram your own opinions down their throat - the same way you'd teach religion/ politics etc if you had a strong personal opinion.

Please
or

BloodyHellKen · 22/09/2022 18:15

Well for a start I'd make it clear that some people believe it and others don't - you know a bit like a religion. That way you don't have to give your opinion as such but it will allow you to give both sides.

Please
or

OldChinaJug · 22/09/2022 18:17

English primary school.

I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb tomorrow and see what it says exactly. And if there's any scope for me to be 'flexible' with how I deliver it.

I'm covering someone else's class for PPA.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OldChinaJug · 22/09/2022 18:20

bodie1890 · 22/09/2022 18:15

I imagine the way it will be taught in schools is going to be more discussion based and getting the students to talk about it and come to their own conclusions, as much of PSHE is.

I'm not a teacher but I suppose you'd teach whatever is on the curriculum, facilitate a discussion and try not to ram your own opinions down their throat - the same way you'd teach religion/ politics etc if you had a strong personal opinion.

The lesson plan and presentation/work activity has already been done by someone else. I have to deliver it exactly as they have done it to keep in line with the school's policy. But I will see if there's room for manoeuvre.

I'm well aware of how to facilitate a discussion without being biased but I'm not prepared to teach a belief system as fact.

I'm just sick of it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bodie1890 · 22/09/2022 18:22

Hotandbothereds · 22/09/2022 18:08

In what setting do you have to teach this? Is this crap actually on the school curriculum?

Can you share any of the resources, it surely can’t be right this nonsense is taught as facts?

It is absolutely right that it's on the curriculum in some fashion because it is something that a lot of young people are currently struggling with. Schools have a responsibility to engage with young people about matters that concern them. There is a mental health crisis in young people and teachers/ schools have to do something. They can't just ignore the issue and hope it goes away.

OP, I think you should have a conversation with your manager/ head of PSHE if you are worried about how to teach it.

Please
or

WomanStanleyWoman2 · 22/09/2022 18:24

Maybe develop a sense of professionalism.

Please
or

JoanOgden · 22/09/2022 18:26

Suella Braverman (as a government minister) gave a talk in the summer which was partly about schools not having to follow gender identity ideology... Worth checking this out.

Please
or

HipTightOnions · 22/09/2022 18:26

I was in a similar situation, although in secondary rather than primary, and kicked up a bit of a stink.

After quite a battle, I was eventually allowed, with a couple of like-minded colleagues, to re-write the resources in terms of "some people believe... whereas other people believe... and these are the facts...".

It has been a very unpleasant experience, but worth it in the end. Good luck if you take it on.

Please
or

Decoupagedelilah · 22/09/2022 18:28

IIRC there was some DfE guidance that talked about the need to avoid suggesting that children may be born in the wrong body or that non-conformance to stereotypes means you are trans. But I don’t think it gave any clues about what should be taught and I can’t find it.

Found this one assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1090195/Relationships_Education_RSE_and_Health_Education.pdf

says
75. Pupils should be taught the facts and the law about sex, sexuality, sexual health and gender identity in an age-appropriate and inclusive way. All pupils should feel that the content is relevant to them and their developing sexuality. Sexual orientation and gender identity should be explored at a timely point and in a clear, sensitive and respectful manner. When teaching about these topics, it must be recognised that young people may be discovering or understanding their sexual orientation or gender identity.

78. Pupils should be well informed about the full range of perspectives and, within the law, should be well equipped to make decisions for themselves about how to live their own lives, whilst respecting the right of others to make their own decisions and hold their own beliefs.

Also says kids should know:

• how stereotypes, in particular stereotypes based on sex, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or disability, can cause damage (e.g. how they might normalise non-consensual behaviour or encourage prejudice).

So you can’t be compliant with this guidance and teach gender id as a fact. Some people feel they have one; others don’t. Some people believe there’s a conflict between gay rights and trans rights; others don’t.

Give some definitions and then a good place to start might be the difference between sex, gender identity and gender presentation. And can we assume one based on any of the others? And can we assume everyone has one (sex, yes; gender id and gender expression, no)

Pictures through time (and maybe place?) - eg Victorian boys in dresses, 1970s Bowie, Maya looking pretty in a nice dress, Julie Bindel, Magdalen Berns, the Susie person from mermaids (assuming she identifies as cis), Glinner and Jo Maugham from Good Law Project, Alison Bailey in that amazing vintage pride picture, and some current trans/nb people - ie a mix of people known to have said they have/don’t have a gender id and some unknowns. Get kids to guess - who says they identify as man/woman/nb, who says they have no gender id, who has said nothing (and what can we assume about them?)

What does gender id mean to different people? Some quotes - some trans people who it’s really important to, some people who find it utterly oppressive and retrograde.

discuss in what ways gender Id could be helpful/important, in what ways it could be harmful.

a quote from a happy transitioner. A quote from a devastated detransitoner - maybe that guy who’s suing the nhs?

and the law, and the need for tolerance and respect on all sides.

Please
or

EdithStourton · 22/09/2022 18:28

Do you have any idea what your head or colleagues think, and whether they would be supportive? Or has anyone else taught this in PSHE in your school and if so how did they go about it?

If you can find a few allies, you will feel less alone.

Please
or

Decoupagedelilah · 22/09/2022 18:28

Sorry loads is cross posts while I was going off on one.

Please
or

EdithStourton · 22/09/2022 18:29

WomanStanleyWoman2 · 22/09/2022 18:24

Maybe develop a sense of professionalism.

I think that's what the OP already has. She doesn't want to teach a belief system as fact.

Please
or

Decoupagedelilah · 22/09/2022 18:30

OP is not allowed to teach gender id as fact, according to the DfE guidance.

Please
or

chosenone · 22/09/2022 18:31

I’ve taught it in Secondary PSHE to year 7s. It was part of the LGTQ section and the overall objective was to be supportive of each other and speak out of your struggling. It is presented as ‘some people believe’. I added the line that Biological sex is fixed but people identify with gender 😩. The issue I have is the group of ‘diversity role models’ who consist of Transwomen only.

Please
or

Decoupagedelilah · 22/09/2022 18:34

That doesn’t sound very diverse. @chosenone! Can you suggest some additions? Eg some GNC lesbians?

Please
or

Whataretheodds · 22/09/2022 18:35

Will they already have covered the biological differences between male and female or is that part of your scope too?

I agree with PP that observing different gender stereotypes, noting how they vary across time and space (eg men wearing 'skirts'/pink/long hair, women don't do science/play brass instruments /work outside the home) and that people don't have to conform to those stereotypes should cover most if not all of that scope?

Please
or

WarriorN · 22/09/2022 18:36

Excellent advice above, I'd consider contacting safe schools alliance U.K. too . They're website is good.

"Some people believe..." would be my approach

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?