Greenleevses · 03/08/2022 14:35

Just for anyone who hasn't read it

thecritic.co.uk/The-most-pretentious-edgelord/

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

ladygindiva · 03/08/2022 14:43

Thankyou, it's a good read. I'm in agreement!

Please
or

MadeiraMDear · 03/08/2022 14:50

Couldn’t agree more.

The mansplaining about why women shouldn’t be offended (and I’m not even ‘offended’ - I’m sickened and depressed by the misogyny) by rape jokes adds insult to injury.

And he’s a TWAW merchant, too?

Fuck off, Frankie.

Please
or

Sulusu · 03/08/2022 14:52

That's an excellent piece. That last line especially.

Please
or

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly · 03/08/2022 14:53

I was done with Frankie Boyle when he joked about Katie Price’s son

he’s not very funny so it was no loss really

Please
or

Greenleevses · 03/08/2022 14:54

And he’s a TWAW merchant, too?

Yup. And like most men who use trans ideology as a convenient stick to beat women with, he has a history of using the t slur.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Greenleevses · 03/08/2022 14:56

By t slur, I don't mean 'terf'.

OP's posts:
Please
or

achillestoes · 03/08/2022 15:28

I’m actually okay with offensive humour. Boyle’s humour always was deeply offensive, but people have a right to the bawdy and even the unkind and it’s not up to me what other people find amusing. What I hate is a hypocrite. Boyle wants it both ways, doesn’t he?

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 15:31

She's such a good writer. And yes, it's the pious hypocrisy that is the worst thing.

Please
or

Faffertea · 03/08/2022 15:49

Glosswitch never fails to write clear, readable pieces which I really like about her.

Frankie is a prick who’s brand of comedy is to try and shock by making so called jokes out of subjects other comedians wouldn’t. So brave! So stunning! I assume he’s made a grovelling apology on Twitter for his previous transphobia?

Taking a wider view of the article though I do think comedians should be able to make jokes about any subject because otherwise I feel we fall too far towards saying only some things can be jokes about and who gets to decide that? Just shows where that person’s level is.

Please
or

GrabbyGabby · 03/08/2022 16:19

The man repeatedly punches down, with women, and not only women in general, but specific women he names and shames often the targets.

He is the embodiment of the toxic left. He can say anything as he knows he is entirely safe in the bosom of the wokebros. They would never countenance that he could be a misogynistic shitbag, because they would have to admit they too are misogynistic shitbags. So, they all clap themselves on the back and continue to shit on women in plain sight.

Please
or

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 03/08/2022 16:28

Hmmm …Frankie’s nearly fifty, and he’s grown quite a bit ( not mentally or emotionally). I guess the New Woke Bloke is a last ditch attempt to stay relevant and innovative - ‘edgy’. But really, what’s the difference between him and all the other big men who can just about cling onto an audience by abusing women?

Please
or

Suetwo · 03/08/2022 16:38

Boyle is a perfect example of the hard-left. Like so many people on the left, he isn't motivated by sympathy but by hatred. He is a bitter, hate-filled man. And like all bitter misanthropes, he yearns to smash things up and hurt people. Of course, he can't admit that - not even to himself. So he hides behind left-wing politics. After all, the left are the goodies, aren't they? You can't be left-wing and still be a bad person.

Please
or

RoyalCorgi · 03/08/2022 16:52

As others have pointed out, we know he doesn't really believe TWAW because he is never nasty about them in the way he is about women.

Please
or

FunnyTalks · 03/08/2022 17:00

Also happy for offensive humour to exist.

What offends me, won't necessarily offend someone else. And rape and cancer and misogyny continue to exist even if no male comedian ever talks about them again.

And I think art should be where this stuff is discussed. It shouldn't always have to be child safe or PC.

But, as PP said, it's the fact he's a pathetic hypocrite that makes me dislike Boyle. He really does punch down, constantly. Picking celebs is clever because women like Holly Willoughby's success rests upon her never upsetting the males in charge. And now he's a trans activist he's got all the big boys on side. Clever move.

Boyle is a run of the mill misogynist bully and not interesting in himself, but it would be interesting to pinpoint how it is that Ricky Gervais manages to pull off what Boyle fails at. Gervais is just as offensive, and the justification is similar (mirror to society etc). But somehow Gervais never punches down. He always manages to make himself come off worse.

And he makes me laugh much more than Boyle does.

Agree Glosswitch is a brilliant feminist voice.

Please
or

JacquelinePot · 03/08/2022 17:07

I agree with Achilles.

I don't care that people find his routines offensive. We should all be able to say offensive things. What boils my piss is that he says all the horrible things he says while simultaneously pretending he's some sort of holier-than-thou-uber-lefty thought leader. He can stick it.

Please
or

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly · 03/08/2022 17:17

I don’t care that people find his routines offensive

I do care that they find them funny from a ‘how have we got to this’ perspective

Please
or

donquixotedelamancha · 03/08/2022 17:38

I’m actually okay with offensive humour. Boyle’s humour always was deeply offensive, but people have a right to the bawdy and even the unkind and it’s not up to me what other people find amusing. What I hate is a hypocrite. Boyle wants it both ways, doesn’t he?

This. I don't like the way he picks on individuals but I defend his right to say even that.

I find it absolutely bonkers that he feels he has the right to criticise Ricky Gervais as offensive for stuff that is mild and witty compared to FBs shock tactics.

Please
or

zanahoria · 03/08/2022 18:05

I will file that one for reference as it succinctly sums up everything I believe about Frankie Boyle

Please
or

EsmaCannonball · 03/08/2022 19:36

I can't wait until Glosswitch's book comes out.

It's the hypocrisy of Boyle that I can't stand. Dave Chappelle's 'controversial' Netflix special was far more considered and political than anything that Boyle has come out with, and truly 'edgy' and daring because Chappelle knew he was risking denunciation.

It still angers me that Rebecca Adlington had cosmetic surgery after Boyle took her moment in the spotlight and turned her into a laughing stock. It's what men like him do. They turn women into fuckable/unfuckable objects so they can reduced. It's the cheapest, easiest form of humour.

Please
or

Deliriumoftheendless · 03/08/2022 19:52

He wrote a column for the Sun so he was happy to square his left wing principles with taking Murdoch’s cash.

Please
or

TheLassWiADelicateAir · 03/08/2022 20:47

Deliriumoftheendless · 03/08/2022 19:52

He wrote a column for the Sun so he was happy to square his left wing principles with taking Murdoch’s cash.

But that's ok, because it's a good lefty thing to relieve Murdoch of his money.

Please
or

Secondhand · 03/08/2022 20:49

Frankie Ricky is a prick who’s brand of comedy is to try and shock by making so called jokes out of subjects other comedians wouldn’t. So brave!

FTFY

Please
or

IcakethereforeIam · 03/08/2022 20:56

It'll all be water off a duck's back to him. He'll be so convinced of the rightness and superiority of himself. If he reads the article or sees this thread, It'll just be grist to his mill. We're probably just giving him material.

Grrrr...

Please
or

EsmaCannonball · 03/08/2022 21:11

There was also the joke about the queen being so old she had cobwebs in her vagina. It didn't work because it didn't challenge anything about the monarchy or the queen; it was just a cheap, lazy variation on the 'old women are unfuckable and smell of piss' jokes but with the queen's name tacked on to it so he could say it on a BBC topical panel show. It's the kind of joke made by nasty schoolboys every day. How he dares accuse other comedians of laziness, when that is his level, is beyond me.

Please
or

JamTuesday · 04/08/2022 17:17

I'm not against rape jokes if they are done well e.g. the dramatic irony of the prison cell scene in My Cousin Vinnie. I like edgy comedy. I don't like living in a politically correct society where jokes were policed. Make no mistake, jokes are already policed. Don't for one minute believe we live in a society where there is freedom of speech, let alone freedom of thought. There has been a slow creeping censorship since the 1970s. Some things are verboten. We need edgy comedy more than ever.

Boyle is an annoying pseud, but censorship of second raters ends up censoring some important art. Yep, I'm gonna go there with the A-word. Art. No! Don't do it! They'll tear you apart for being elitist and patronising...

Frankie Boyle is a second rate Jerry Sadowitz. If you are unfamiliar with Sadowitz, a real pioneer of offensive shtick in the 80s, joking about Jimmy Savile being a paedophile, then as Sadowitz said mocking those who stole from him, "Oh, he’s a bit like Frankie Boyle. Oh, he’s a bit like Ricky Gervais, he’s a bit like Jimmy Carr or Chubby Brown. I’ve heard Doug Stanhope do that..." For me that order of funny is: Doug Stanhope < Ricky Gervais < Jimmy Carr < Frankie Boyle < Roy Chubby Brown < Jerry Sadowitz < Stewart Lee. I introduce Lee here because Boyle's just a pale imitation of Lee's audacious meta comedy (e.g. the William Wallace, Braveheart paedophile routine to a Glasgow audience). My trouble with this critic's attack on meta comedy, calling it pretentious, is that it picks on Boyle's strawman. Even when the Brechtian alienation device (verfremdungseffekt) of meta comedy is expertly employed it is often met with the knee-jerk, self-rightous anger that the ignorant have towards all that fancy book learnin'. The unthinking mob, pitchforks and burning torches in hand, wants to drag everything down to its literal level. Emperor's New Clothes? Elitist? Patronising? Yes. I've heard it all before. When did elite become a dirty word? Don't I realise what I'm saying is verboten? Boo hoo. Hurt feelings. Safe spaces. Be nice. This is why we need edgy comedy more than ever. Edgy anything.

According to his autobiography, My Shit Life So Far, (some one bought it for me as a present) Boyle went to Sussex University. So intellectually almost anything is punching up for him. His latest show has been pretty dire because it is too politically correct. If you have not seen it then imagine a tutorial in some shit humanities department at a breeze block university (cf The History Man) attended by some dim pseudo-Marxist undergraduates (i.e. not real Marxists, y'know the people who have actually put in the effort to actually read Marx), so undergraduates with PC sticks up their arses, token [verbotten adjective deleted because I don't want to get banned] comedians, and [shudders] for some unexplained reason Miles Jupp (token representative of self-flagellating white privilege?). Though there were some decent flights of fancy from Boyle at the end of each episode, one particular monologue about dogging in a Fiat Twingo comes to mind, and brings a smile to my lips. Gervais as a social commentator hits the nail on its head with his joke about the new sort of women, the one's with dicks, but I just don't find him funny, except when he is making fun of fat people, or the slow kids at school, or in The Office the with double entendres about volunteers in the Territorial Army being homosexuals. I enjoy such ribaldry, and can't help finding the Queen's vagina funny. It's not any old woman's vagina. It's the Queen's. It's someone revered, to whom we usually show deference. It's taboo. Boyle's Queen's vagina joke wasn't particularly original or funny, while Sacha Baron Cohen's (Ali G's) goes much further and I find it hilarious. Cohen is also sort of meta because it has to be explained to the stunned Hollywood commissioning folks. I find it funny in the same transgressive way that I find Tony Slatery's sick joke about Douglas Bader funny.

I hope I haven't said anything too out of order. Wouldn't want to be banned.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.