Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Worldcon Dublin

35 replies

GCSciFiFan · 01/08/2019 12:47

Any other GC fans going to Worldcon in Dublin? There’s already things I’ve seen on the schedule that make me want to stand outside in my AHF t-shirt but not brave enough to do it alone!

OP posts:
Please
or

Pudner · 19/08/2019 08:43

Awh disappointed about Mary Robinette Kowal. Not surprised by Emma Newman though. We were probably in the same line for the Dragon panel. I didn't get in and went to the one on apocalyptic events instead which was excellent and probably better for my blood pressure.

It is Ruth Frances Long that has blocked me. Her loss - we have her first book and I now won't be buying any more. I musr be on some Irish block list as I have recently noticed that I am blocked by a few others based in Ireland. I have never liked or tweeted anything in any way controversial as I am easily recognised from my Twitter and it would be detrimental to my career.

Interestingly my badge didn't have the space for a sticker. It is almost as if they knew Grin.

Please
or

Viticulture · 19/08/2019 09:16

I went to Worldcon in London in 2012. It was my first. I remember being increasingly weirded out by every panel talk being about diversity and gender. Even the ones about other stuff... brought up diversity somehow. I remember wondering what this had to do with sci-fi and fantasy.

That was the year of the Sad Puppies screwing over the votes to get right wing authors on the ballot for the Hugo's. GRRM was there and wrote pages and pages about his anger about it. After the con, though, I started to question it. The con was very, very biased towards certain viewpoints. Viewpoints I thought I held myself. But when you are creeped out by people supposedly on 'your side' something is up.

Please
or

GCSciFiFan · 19/08/2019 10:41

I don’t remember it being so bad at london or Helsinki...maybe it’s because I’m more Gc these days! But we won’t be going to any more...we are going to spend the time/effort to go to proper talks at the Royal institute instead!

But there are loads of authors off my reading list now :-( although given how many books I have to read it might not be a problem!

I did get a distinct feeling that the Hugo nominations were rigged this year too...

OP posts:
Please
or

butteryellow · 19/08/2019 12:04

I didn't even realise it was on, or I might have gone, but hearing all this, I probably didn't miss that much that wouldn't have annoyed me anyway...

One advantage of growing up reading SF from the library and second hand market stall is that I'm just not up on contemporary authors as a rule, I'll get started reading something I come across, really enjoy it, devour the next few, only to find that the person popped their clogs 10 years ago. (Iain (M) Banks was a particular blow - I loved both his SF and non-SF stuff).

Please
or

Hulo · 19/08/2019 14:59

I managed to get on some good panels. Specific panels were fine. I went to various panels about African sci fi and those focussed on African sci fi and I got some good recommendations. I think it was the more generic 'diversity' panels that were hijacked. In the old days I would have gone to them but steered clear here.

I also went to a good one about older writers. One panelist mentioned female and female identified writers but this was spoken past as everyone discussed the barriers to female, and in particular older female, writers and older female characters in books

The science panels were okay too. I found it helpful to check the panellists beforehand and avoid zirs/zees etc

But yes, there was an air of tiresomeness about the entire event

Please
or

Pudner · 19/08/2019 16:22

I am just glad that in the crowds, I was not entirely alone. I mentioned earlier that sci-fi and fantasy is generally inclusive and quite open to gender or sex fluidity and I have always been fine with that to be honest but this is a shift to something politically and socially different and it makes me very uncomfortable. Thought this tweet from Kris McDermott interesting.

Worldcon Dublin
Please
or

DreadPirateLuna · 19/08/2019 18:28

Oh, Mary Robinette Kowal...

I love her fiction. Really do. The Glamourist Histories and Lady Astronaut series are some of the best female-centered fantasy out there.

But oh Lord, her online presence is painfully woke! I used to follow her blog, and even when I agreed with her in principle (such as when she talked about increasing diversity), she seemed to be reading from a playbook. I eventually gave up when she apologized for being a "white cis woman".

Will still read and recommend her fiction, but I'll ignore anything she has to say outside of that.

Please
or

Juells · 19/08/2019 19:44

I've started getting very bolshy on fb when insults about 'white people' or 'white feminists' are thrown about - by white people! I never let it pass any more.

The gender-bending in (some) fantasy has become quite wearisome. Like a sudden fashionable bandwagon that everyone has to jump on. It was interesting (though convoluted) when I saw it in a few books a few years ago, but now it's turned into an avalanche of wokeness.

Please
or

GCSciFiFan · 19/08/2019 21:06

And generally doesnt add to the story. A friend there was raving about a rewrite of the Mulan story where mulan turns out to actually be trans...which totally defeats the point! And omg the drooling over gentleman jack and the fact that regency ladies obviously had lots of lesbian relationships...(well duh...if you are always chaperoned with men of course you’ll be more likely to experiment with women...plus no chance of being pregnant...)

OP posts:
Please
or

Viticulture · 20/08/2019 00:18

It's a fad. Just like all that dodgy 60s science fiction that ended up with the protagonists all in a polyamorous relationship at the end, completely out of context with the rest of the story. E.g. Stranger From a Strange Land. Not to mention books like The Mists of Avalon, full of the sexual ideas of the time... until you realise the deeper grossness of the author that came to light recently. Some circles had weird sex fetishes back then. So do they now. Let's hope this one is also passing.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?