A massive well done, to all the women involved in challenging this!
Survivors of domestic abuse will be able to continue to pay for places in women’s refuges through the welfare system, after the government ditched plans to overhaul funding for the life-saving accommodation.
The government announced plans last year to remove refuges and other forms of short-term supported housing from the welfare system.
The changes would have meant women fleeing abusive partners would not have been able to pay for the accommodation using housing benefit, the last guaranteed source of income available to refuges. On average, housing benefit makes up 53% of refuge funding.
But after concerted pressure from women’s rights campaigners and coverage of the proposals in the Guardian, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government said on Thursday that all supported housing funding would be retained in the welfare system.
Katie Ghose, the chief executive of Women’s Aid, said: “Women’s Aid is delighted the government has listened and acted to keep refuge doors open for survivors of domestic abuse. Rent in refuges will continue to be funded through housing benefit. This will be warmly welcomed by survivors and our member services – housing benefit makes up, on average, around half of a refuge’s income.”
www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/09/plans-to-remove-womens-refuges-from-uk-welfare-system-dropped?CMP=share_btn_tw