Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

At a work conference

9 replies

ArgumentsatChristmas · 22/01/2014 02:00

I am at a work conference for leadership in my firm. I happened to note that our Birmingham office (the leadership team in Brum seemed to consist of 14 white men) had brought no women along. I wasn't equal to the why all white discussion so I focused on the why no women discussion.

I am genuinely very tired of hearing a bunch of overweight white men explaining that no, they do promote women. It just so happens that they have never in living memory ever promoted any.

I cannot tell you how tired I am of this nonsense. Where does it end?

OP posts:
TheDoctrineOf2014 · 22/01/2014 09:38
TheDoctrineOf2014 · 22/01/2014 09:40

... Your firm is not alone!

UptoapointLordCopper · 22/01/2014 13:51

I sympathise. I am also very tired of this. And very angry. And usually it's men who said they can't see a problem. Haha. What a surprise.

We really need a jaded emoticon.

DuskAndShiver · 22/01/2014 14:44

Ugh, I feel your pain.
I have just been travelling for work and I got so tired of having to work really hard to send cues to get the respect that I needed - not at my workplace which is filled with powerful women, hurray - but all the infrastructure is set up and managed by people who suck up to men and think women can wait and don't need anything made easy for them. I was so busy, so tired, and being overlooked all the time by people who should have been doing stuff for me

WilsonFrickett · 22/01/2014 16:43

Well they would promote women, if women wanted the jobs, but of course the talented women are now looking for family-friendly positions, and indeed who could blame them, when it's so hard to manage the demands of being a big fat leader which is all consuming with the fact someone's got to take the kiddies to football...

It's just pish.

CaptChaos · 22/01/2014 17:16

We had a women in leadership thing in my company.

In my region, there is only one female general manager out of 23. There is 1 regional level manager out of 12.

Women in leadership, oh! How we laughed!

ArgumentsatChristmas · 22/01/2014 17:48

I really was outspoken about it. They refused to see that there was a clear problem. Just fed up of accepting pretty lame excuses, tbh.

OP posts:
UptoapointLordCopper · 22/01/2014 19:19

Well done for speaking up.

Women in leadership. Ha. Again, to quote/misquote Gandhi, "that would be a very good thing".

Hogwash · 24/01/2014 09:59

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.