Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex and gender discussions

Male birth control

9 replies

NicholasTeakozy · 12/09/2013 12:06

Link here. Had I known about this I definitely would've used it instead of the XW going on the pill (which she hated and came off) or having a vasectomy. It would be wonderful if men would get behind this and bring it more publicity.

OP posts:
MoonlightPicnic · 12/09/2013 12:24

Yes, but if us chaps had freely available oral contraception we'd only be told that we couldn't be trusted to take it.

I'm all for Men shouldering the responsability however...

Chotter · 12/09/2013 13:16

Moonlight, you could just show your partner your vastly distended, black and blue ball sack before making sweet, sweet lurve...Grin

meditrina · 12/09/2013 13:30

Is isn't a much discussed method because, in trials in India, it has been shown to be neither safe, nor invariable reversible. Those are both pretty big obstacles to it becoming a generally available.

I think it might be difficult to advise someone who may want children in the future to use a contraceptive that could make them sterile.

MoonlightPicnic · 12/09/2013 13:54

Chotter, I like your style. Thank you Grin

Chotter · 12/09/2013 13:58

Is this your professional field, meditrina? Just curious as to why that isn't covered in the article. In fact, the author says exactly the opposite;

'25 years of use in India, on humans, where it was said to be 100% effective'

I can't imagine drug companies missing out any any revenue source, especially something so potentially popular and lucrative.

meditrina · 12/09/2013 14:19

No, but I did have reason to read up on it.

Yes, there are some promising early results. But WHO rejected the initial toxicology tests because they did not conform to international standards (what I meant by not safe - I perhaps should have written that safety isn't yet established to accepted standards, though that work is being re-done).

Reversals have been demonstrated but not in big enough populations to show it will definitely happen. They test on male volunteers whose wives/partners have undergone tubal ligation, so they are looking at whether a sperm sample looks normal on examination, not on whether pregnancy actually occurs.

Some of the descriptions of time to contraceptive effectiveness are a little odd (I read one claiming immediate, which seems to negate the role of the ampulla), and dose required for effectiveness is also still being refined, as is duration of effect.

But as hormonal methods have proved unsuitable in practice, methods which disrupt sperm transit or viability must be the way ahead. There is still some way to go on establishing if this method will indeed live up to early promise, but with Indian backing (for there is a clear interest in advancing contraceptive technology that country, plus the required scientific competence to do so) and some US interest, it's one to watch. It's certainly not being overlooked.

My guess is that the toxicological issues will be resolved, and I hope reversibility will be properly established. Then it will be down to establishing safe use protocols - like vasectomy, there will be a risk of medical error (doing one tube twice, leaving the other clear) so post-procedure semen analysis would be prudent. Plus more work into duration of effectiveness.

Chotter · 12/09/2013 14:28

Very interesting. Many thanks.

Isn't it great to be able to discuss this minus the policitally-motivated angle that the author seems determined to promote? I wonder why she felt she had to write the article from that perspective?

meditrina · 12/09/2013 14:50

It's always right to challenge assumptions. And it's right to highlight areas where there is something new at a promising stage, so that the necessary work continues to attract funding. If this really does what they say it does, then it is indeed a major breakthrough. But if there are yet-to-be-discovered problems (who knows?) which surfaced only after roll-out, it would be disastrous for public acceptance of new male methods for a long time. Frustrating to be so near and yet so far, but I think it is important that the preparatory work is done very thoroughly, and that does take time.

Sinful1 · 16/09/2013 11:13

Anabolic steroids Work pretty well at it (enough for the WHO to classify them.as.birth.control.)

Better mood, muscle without the hassle of the gym, less fat.and.birth.control.

Just a shame I can't stand needles :(

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.