My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex and gender discussions

Bringing up the next generation of feminists....

4 replies

januarysnowdrop · 10/08/2013 07:32

A friend and I are thinking of trying to start up a local discussion group on this subject (primarily aimed at, but not in any way limited to, mothers of girls). It's not intended to be all serious (wine and cake are definitely part of the plan!) but does anyone have any bright ideas about reading material/topics we might want to cover?

OP posts:
gertrudestein · 10/08/2013 09:17

Sounds like a great idea! I have a ds, who I am also planning to raise as a feminist - can I come too?

Body image would be a big topic for me. My references are slightly out of date, but I found 'body matters' by Susan Bordo very helpful in getting over my own body issues in my 20s. I think most of my feminist reading is at least 20 years old, but the principles apply to contemporary culture.

Also, I haven't read it yet but the equality illusion by Kat barnyard sounds very good and would be very relevant.

TunipTheUnconquerable · 10/08/2013 21:21

It's a brilliant idea. I don't think you're going to have any trouble finding topics to cover (sadly!)

GertrudeStein - I find it very interesting reading feminist books from decades back. The Feminine Mystique blew my mind, as a SAHM. It is from the flipping early 1960s and yet much of it (not all, but much) felt spookily familiar to me here in 2013.
And 20 years is nothing, really.

Books which have a particular resonance for mothers of girls:
Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine
Cinderella Ate My Daughter (can't remember the author, sorry)
The Equality Illusion by Kat Banyard
The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
Wifework by Susan Maushart
Female Chauvinist Pigs by Ariel Levy (on raunch culture - more relevant to mothers of teens)
Beauty and Misogyny by Sheila Jeffreys

Good luck! Do let us know how you get on.

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom · 10/08/2013 21:25

Oooh, I would love something like this. Shame I bet you are nowhere near me!

DorisIsWaiting · 10/08/2013 21:58

Where are you? I would love something like this (have 3 girls!).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.