My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

As if you didn't need more reasons to think David Attenborough is an actual God.......

12 replies

mcmooncup · 11/11/2012 17:29

David Attenborough in an interview in this week?s Radio Times:

He is asked by Chris Packham:

?Wouldn?t that sadden you [talking about overcrowding and economic growth spelling disaster for the environment]? Like you, I think that the single-greatest threat to the planet as a whole in terms of its biodiversity is the over-population of humans???Would it not sadden you if we weren?t able to regulate, obviously passively, human population? If it has to come to a catastrophe, what a sad indictment of our own evolution.?

In response -

DA ?There is one solitary ray of hope. And that is, in those circumstances where women have control of their own bodies, where they are educated, where they have proper medical facilities, and they have the vote, and they can do what they wish and not be instructed by men, the birth rate falls.?

Rock on David.

OP posts:
ConsiderCasey · 11/11/2012 18:29

Yes that's lovely of him. It's heartwarming when nice men speak up for women's rights.

SomersetONeil · 11/11/2012 18:55

So inherently obvious, isn't it?

Great to hear someone so influential and respected speaking out like that. :)

StewieGriffinsMom · 11/11/2012 22:04

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch · 11/11/2012 23:07

To me, he's not saying it because he's sspecifically speaking up for women's rights (though he may well do that sometimes as well). He's saying it because he's someone whose career and outlook involves examining evidence and drawing conclusions, and there is good evidence for what he says.

I think he's fantastic 'n' all, of course.

bitsofmeworkjustfine · 11/11/2012 23:12

good grief.. chris Packham suggesting we regulate womens reproduction to save the planet?

jog on bunny boy....

David.... I think that you have hit the nail on the head.. well done

mcmooncup · 11/11/2012 23:12

It is depressing that a man has to say it. But he's not just any man. It is impossible to be suspicious of him.

I'm such a fan. He is a good man and I wish there were more like him.

OP posts:
bitsofmeworkjustfine · 11/11/2012 23:15

didnt marilyn monroe say....i dont mind living in a mans world so long as I dont have to be a man?

i wish there were more people like DA too

summerflower · 11/11/2012 23:27

It's incredibly depressing that a man has to say it in order for it to be taken seriously

TheDoctrineOfSnatch · 11/11/2012 23:31

I don't think Chris packham was advocating control over women's bodies.

Himalaya · 12/11/2012 00:10

DoS - I agree. Haven't read the full interview but it doesn't sound like what Chris Packham is saying.

It sounds like he is talking about whether population growth will level off and fall because people have fewer children or because of environmental catastrophes causing disease, wars and famines. Irony think he is advocating regulating women's fertility.

ConsiderCasey · 12/11/2012 10:49

Yeah it is a bit depressing that if a man says it he gets taken seriously, if a woman says it she is seen as having an agenda.

But it's still good that he says it.

PosieParker · 12/11/2012 20:13

Ooooo I was a bit off him following his letching over Cameron Dias.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.