My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Just when you thought women were making progress.....

12 replies

grimbletart · 21/08/2012 12:10

Iranian males have had to take drastic action to keep their collective feet on the necks of women as pesky females were getting too successful and they couldn't have that could they?

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/9487761/Anger-as-Iran-bans-women-from-universities.html

OP posts:
LastMangoInParis · 21/08/2012 13:54

... and so these intitutions are colluding in a decision to waste their country's best brains.
(Just bumping, really, in the hope that more people see and add to this thread.)

TheDoctrineOfEnnis · 21/08/2012 14:35

Can I read it tomorrow? I'm exhausted with Assange stuff today...

Kveta · 21/08/2012 14:40

with this and the galloway/american bloke rape apologists, I think I may have to just weep for the rest of the year.

laidbackflat · 21/08/2012 14:59

I just don't get the logic of this.

Surely effectively excluding 50% of your potential top-level professionals and managers from the pool of economic talent is simply bad for the economy and bad for everybody (women and men). Why would even the socially conservative leadership of a theocratic state think that this is a good idea?

LastMangoInParis · 21/08/2012 23:53

I think the idea is that if women are allowed to use their brains as they choose, then they won't have so many babies, or they'll start developing 'rights', meddling in political and business affairs, start handling money, property, gather political power... Who knows where it'll all end?
So sad.

sashh · 22/08/2012 09:23

There is a certain irony to this. When the Shah was in power women were not allowed to wear a headscarf.

Many families did not want their daughters to go to uni, one of many results of the revoloution was segregation in public places and islamic dress, which in turn made uni 'safe' in the eyes of many families so the numbers of women in uni skyrocketed.

I've often pondered whether it would be better to have an education and wear a head scarf or be free to dress as I like but be denied education.

I realise that it should not be a choice, a woman should be able to dress how she wants and study but if I had to shoose I'm not sure which way I would jump.

TheDoctrineOfEnnis · 22/08/2012 09:45

I would study and wear the headscarf. The studying might be a one time opportunity but the headScarf might take a lifetime to change,

Childrenofthestones · 22/08/2012 19:30

Wafa Sultan's ' A God Who Hates'

If you want an insight into the mind of many Muslim men and why they treat women the way they do, this is a must. Her life as a girl growing into a woman in Syria under the strict religious and cultural rules of Sharia, witnessing the atrocious treatment of women at the hands of men. The fact that she came to notoriety because, when in a televised discussion in 2006 on Al Jazeera, where she was being shouted down by a cleric, when it was her 2 minutes to rebut his points, she had the temerity to say " Be quiet, it is my turn to talk!." Shock
The Muslim world was shocked. Just the act of talking across a man was enough for her to receive hate mail and subsequent death threats.
Where are all the feminist voices about this?
I, like many westerners, didn't realise just how restrictive women's existence can be in Islam.
For having the courage to write this book, and stand up for women all over the world, in the face of Islamic death threats that she receives daily, she deserves to be read as widely as possible.
Highly recommended.

Sparrowp · 22/08/2012 20:30

Hurray for women in Iran! I hope they keep fighting and pushing for progress.

LastMangoInParis · 22/08/2012 22:43

Thank you, Children - that is now a priority read for me.
Thanks to grimble for starting this thread, and thanks to everyone else for comments - please keep them coming, this is something I feel I really need to know about from lots of sources, and I'm sure lots of other people need to know about this, and keep thinking about it too.

Alameda · 23/08/2012 00:43

it could end in Iranian MumsNet, heavily populated by men who whinge about the sexism they endure on the site

(in just a few hundred years)

how long since women were admitted to universities here, and allowed to actually graduate?

LastMangoInParis · 23/08/2012 00:47

Depends on the type of degree, I think, Alameda. ('here' is UK, right?)
I think generally, around 1920s (for law, anyway - and same for English I think...)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.