Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

An extreme language lesson

4 replies

vesuvia · 17/03/2012 18:03

I've come across many examples of some men and some boys showing their low opinion of women and girls. I've often wondered how they could have formed their views. Perhaps I found a clue when I was shopping recently.

One of my relatives is learning a foreign language. I was browsing in a bookshop, looking for a textbook as a gift. I found a book that teaches words and phrases of that foreign language. It was published only a few years ago. The book was written by a man who appears to be a native English speaker. Each chapter has some grammar and vocabulary, which can be practised using the common technique of conversations between people in typical everyday situations e.g. chatting at a party, hiring a taxi, travelling on a train etc.

I was shocked to discover that the book taught the foreign language versions of the following phases:

"You're running your mouth off bitch, because you're drunk."
"That's it bitch, you asked for it!"

There was also a phrase something like "nice boobs and legs, shame about the face."

The book did not teach any anti-male phrases.

I did not buy the book.

Yes, I know that words are how we communicate ideas. Yes, I know many ideas in our patriarchal society are expressed with anti-female language, but this example, teaching how to express such anti-female opinions in a foreign language, stuck me as shocking and depressing. I shudder to think under what circumstances those phrases would be used in any language.

I think a lot of anti-female sexism is actually rather predictable and unsurprising, but have you experienced or heard about any examples where the attitudes were just so surprising that you had to do a double-take to even get your heard around it happening?

I'm interested in hearing examples about mainstream society, not insane people or anti-feminist extremists.

OP posts:
vesuvia · 17/03/2012 18:06

Oops, sorry for the typo.

have you experienced or heard about any examples where the attitudes were just so surprising that you had to do a double-take to even get your head around it happening?

OP posts:
KRITIQ · 17/03/2012 18:17

How bizarre, and disturbing.

The only thing close was a website I found with swear words in Welsh (after my Welsh tutor told me that there weren't really many swear words in Welsh and I was sure he was wrong!) But, they weren't specifically misogynist like that one.

Was this one of those trying-to-be-achingly-hip-and-funny type books rather than a serious phrase book?

SardineQueen · 17/03/2012 18:19

You WHAT?

What was the book
We should all review it on amazon

That is just, I can't believe it.

InmaculadaConcepcion · 17/03/2012 18:58
Shock
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.