Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

mysogany killed Amy Winehouse?

54 replies

festi · 27/12/2011 22:47

why did such a lovely and beautifully talented woman demise to the needs of such a horribley untallented man.

I feel sad that Amy and many young woman feel the need to be so powerless to such men and the need to be loved and be in love.

I understand drugs and alcohol pays some price but she could and should have had all the power.

OP posts:
OnSantasLap · 28/12/2011 01:12

Erm eh?

BluddyMoFo · 28/12/2011 01:14

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

openyerlugholes · 28/12/2011 01:22

Okaaay then...

Clear as mud.

Omgomgomgomg · 28/12/2011 01:23

spiderslegs · 28/12/2011 01:27

Right - alcohol addiction mysoginistic then?

In which case, yes, that women hating, cocktastic, bastard bottle of vodka fucking did for her.

Wanker.

spiderslegs · 28/12/2011 01:29

Fuck, I'm drinking some Cointreau now - it hates me doesn't it?

BluddyMoFo · 28/12/2011 01:30

BluddyMoFo · 28/12/2011 01:30

Tortington · 28/12/2011 01:31

oh my fucking good god = seriously?

thhis is like a-level english

BluddyMoFo · 28/12/2011 01:33

Tortington · 28/12/2011 01:42

must have

springboksaplenty · 28/12/2011 01:45

No OP I completely agree. Her death was nothing at all to do with the fact she was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Poor little woman - she didn't stand a chance, did she? Bless her.

FFS.

messyisthenewtidy · 28/12/2011 08:16

Festi. Methinks you're having a wind up.

MudAndGlitter · 28/12/2011 08:25

This is why this section winds me up.

Biscuit

Dustinthewind · 28/12/2011 08:52

I think the word you want is misogyny.
Like so many rock stars of both genders, her addictions killed her. The reasons for those addictions are probably more complicated than one crap relationship.
Waste of an amazing talent.

StewieGriffinsMom · 28/12/2011 10:33

Dustinthewind · 28/12/2011 10:41

Apart from her magnificent voice, one of the other reasons I admired her was her individuality, from her hairstyle to her tattoos. Not looking like a modern pop star, with all the sexual crap and perfect body on show.
Unfortunately her behaviour mimicked that of some of the rock stars of my youth, but unlike the Stones and the Who, she didn't survive it.

FreudianSlipper · 28/12/2011 11:01

she had an amazing talent. i was lucky enough to see her singing live this was before she was famous and she blew everyone away

she had her own style with her music, the way she sung and how she dressed truly individual and by far the most talented singer we have had for many years

the only thing that killed her was her addiction, he is an addict too and i am sure both of them together dragged each other down further

very very sad and if anything her life (or in the last few years) shows how powerful and what addiction is really about no matter how much she had going for her, no matter how often she was pictured all over the papers staggering out of a pub, no matter how many times she hurt those around her the need to drink overpowered all this

EdithWeston · 28/12/2011 11:05

Interesting choice of comparison, dustinthewind: the bands survived by replacing members (Brian Jones, also 27, and Keith Moon), which is obviously not an option for a solo performer.

And if we are going to look at the gendered aspects of why women abuse alcohol, then one part of the question is why (despite tone of coverage in general media) women have lower rates of both alcohol consumption and alcohol addiction (according to Alcohol Concern UK). But I'm not sure that would be relevant to any specific question about Winehouse's death, and the world of the "27 club" is somewhat removed from general population studies and the alcohol risk factors therein.

thunderboltsandlightning · 28/12/2011 12:10

Women who are being physically abused by their male partners sometimes use alcohol or drugs to numb the pain.

It's not a secret that Amy had an overbearing boyfriend/husband and father to contend with. Some men see women as resources they can exploit. Britney Spears had a similar problem.

Amy Winehouse seemed very vulnerable. It's sad.

lollygag · 28/12/2011 12:25

It's a Christmas wind up this thread.Isn't it?

StewieGriffinsMom · 28/12/2011 13:17

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

lollygag · 28/12/2011 13:59

Probably women shooting at him.Statistics show they are 17% less accurate at shooting than men.

SardineQueen · 28/12/2011 19:57

It's so terribly sad about Amy Winehouse.

I did think that the media response to her during her lifetime and after her death revealed a lot about the attitude to women in the press, and the double standards that exist.

Bottom line about her death though is she was an alcoholic and it killed her. So terribly sad.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon · 28/12/2011 22:48

But it stands to question; had she not entered the music industry, would she have become an addict? Was it the pressure of being in a deeply misogynistic industry the driving force behind her addiction? Or outside influences?

I don't think the OP deserved the flaming she got, tbh. It's a question that does deserve some deliberation, even if the OP was slightly vague.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.