Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex and gender discussions

Christmas Day Dr Who

14 replies

rosy71 · 27/12/2011 09:27

Did anyone else think the male = weak; female = strong thing was really good? That and the fact that the children were saved by their mother, not some anonymous male stranger.

OP posts:
Omgomgomgomg · 27/12/2011 09:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stuffedauberginexmasdinner · 27/12/2011 10:49

I didn't see it myself but I heard that it had a 'woman falls in love with stalker' storyline, which IMO is totally not on.

HandDivedScallopsrgreat · 27/12/2011 10:55

I only saw the end but agree with aubergine. Following someone home repeatedly is not romantic it is downright creepy.

However the mother did save them which was a good thing.

trulyscrumptious43 · 27/12/2011 10:56

Ooh yes I noticed something too...there was a moment where the mum was in a situation where I expected her to take a routine passive stance. She turned and there was this look in her eye...and she trounced the baddies!

And I liked that the uniformed baddie woman (comedienne/actressfrom tv, can't remember her name) laid down her weapon in female fellowship with the lady hostage!

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe2726 · 27/12/2011 14:34

I watched the Dr Who episode. I didn't really like the connotation of male=weak/female=strong. Why not evil=weak/good=strong? Whether mother/father/pet dog saved the children, the message would have been the same. Love and protection, no?

SolidGoldStockingFilla · 27/12/2011 15:22

I thought the 'female=strong' lines a little bit crass, though I did like the way it was the mother who saved everyone rather than some random bloke doing it. But I didn't really see the 'woman in love with stalker' thing; the way it was discussed sounded like an affectionate family joke.

rosy71 · 27/12/2011 16:57

I wondered what on earth the "woman in love with stalker" storyline was! I certainly didn't notice any such thing!

Whether mother/father/pet dog saved the children,

The whole point was that she was only able to save them because she was female.

OP posts:
geekette · 27/12/2011 22:03

Thumbs down: female -> strong, male -> weak
Putting someone else down never makes me feel great about myself.

Thumbs up: A mother as a mother ship and a star for her family
Great strong message and fantastic word play.

Yeah that stalker story was a bit bizarre but in context, isn't that how it happened in the '40s?

Matronalia · 28/12/2011 00:33

I thought the female/strong thing was a nice subversion of accepted norms. Especially as the woman was wearing a cardigan/skirt and not a bulletproof jacket or wielding a sword.

I loved the fact that a mother saved her children, saved the Doctor, saved her husband and saved a whole alien community. My daughter (6) thought it was fantastic, she really enjoyed it and it was lovely for her to see a mum being the hero for once, rather than just a simple caring role.

Re the stalker thing, given that the daughter looked at least 10, then the courtship of her mother and father would have taken place in the late 20's, early 30's, when single men and women mixed much less. Fraternisation was not generally allowed at work and single women generally didn't leave the house on their own after work (and there would have been household chores to do too). The walk back and forth to work would probably have been the couple's only real chance to talk and its likely he would have had to have kept his distance to preserve her reputation. It sounded like the whole 'didn't like to make a fuss' bit had been made into a family joke.

LRDtheFeministDragon · 28/12/2011 16:25

I didn't like it at all. I thought it just came across as patronizing - 'ooh, you're wonderful cos you is a woman, and the only way you could possibly understand how wonderful you are is if I, a man, tell you so'.

It was like someone bashing you over the head with a sign saying 'LOOK, WE'RE SUBVERTING NORMAL GENDER ROLES NOW'. Why not just write a storyline with strong female characters and stop banging on about it as if it's a Christmas miracle to find strong women?

ElfenorRathbone · 28/12/2011 23:23

LRD - you've just articulated all the things I felt about it and didn't realise I was feeling until this moment. Xmas Grin

LRDtheFeministDragon · 28/12/2011 23:42

Thanks. Grin

I will admit, I think Matt Smith comes across as patronizing by breathing, so I may be biased ..

CogitoErgoSometimes · 29/12/2011 10:33

I think it's a little point-stretching to use the 'he followed me home' line to infer 'stalker'. It was simply a plot device to link with the plane following them home at the end. If you wanted to really go for broke you could say that the plane following the star to be united with the mother and children - plus the forest-related 'light of the world' thing - had more than a touch of the Nativity story about it.

DioneTheDiabolist · 30/12/2011 13:06

In the context of the story the Female=strong and Male= weak referred only to the ability to carry life and was not a sexist generalization.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.