Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

'Womens magazines'

31 replies

manhavingbaby · 11/11/2011 00:57

I was in the shop looking for a mag for the lady friend in my life.... When it struck me, you have foot upon foot of general interest mags for men. New scientist, mbuk, mixmag, muscle mags, shooting, angling, guitar... the list goes on. Now you may be thinking i get that mag, this guys a wanker. NO . These mags are directed at a masculine audience the and are on the left side of the shelf (literally not politically) on the right side it was good housekeeping, wedding mags, celeb mags, vogue, collezionne, fashion etc not a single hobby mag.
All the mags were how to live your life mags. oes no one else think this is shit. Us men are culturally meant to be the d.j's the fisherMEN, the Hunters, the body builders and so on, Discuss.

OP posts:
OldLadyKnowsNothing · 11/11/2011 01:03

Who says "general interest" is for men? I have a subscription to New Scientist, used to be a regular reader of the Used Bike Guide and Back Street Heroes (both motorcycle, "manly" magazines) and AWOL way back when. (Wonders if anyone will remember that one!)

Women shoot, fish, and buy Country Smallholder too.

Never bought a sleb mag in my puff.

madwomanintheattic · 11/11/2011 01:06

i'm not sure what the question is... of course there are hobby mags for women. quilting, sewing, crafting of all types. Wink home design and decorating for the daring. oh, and some crossword/ wordsearch types too. and 'zest' etc, to keep you trim and gorgeous.

and i myself have a wildlife identification number that allows me to be entered into the ballot to get the chance to shoot bear. i get it free with my sportfishing license. (not that i do that either, but the kids and i sometimes potter down the many and varied lakes with a rod and if i'm caught without a license i'll be in deep water. ho ho.)

if you mean 'isn't it a pisser that mags are so gendered' yy. course. it's an utter nonsense. like the rest of life.

running magazines are about the closest to genderless i can think of.

but i still don;t understnad the question...

madwomanintheattic · 11/11/2011 01:07

oh, oh, don't forget cooking and cake decorating. lots of those.

startail · 11/11/2011 01:09

Another new scientist, sci American reader here. Essential hospital reading, leave open on the bed, if you want to remind old school, male, obstetricians that some of their patients have a brainGrin

itsalladirtylie · 11/11/2011 01:13

I also subscribe to new scientist, I also dont really see what the OP's point is?

Tortington · 11/11/2011 01:22

i think the proposition for discussion is quite clear and simply cannot see the ambiguity here.

this is the only thing that irked me - i dont really care one way or another

if good fishing had a free lipstick - i;d buy it

BleedyGhoulzombiez · 11/11/2011 01:44

Arf at Custy!

Another New Sci subscriber here, and I'm not a scientist by trade. I also read New Statesman and, occasionally, Easy Living. Well it's like food, innit - you have your Cordon Bleu, and every now and then there's Ginster's. Grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing · 11/11/2011 03:42

I've been known to peek at the Economist. And Private Eye.

allhailtheaubergine · 11/11/2011 05:16

What is with all these OPs demanding that we "discuss" recently?

Anyway, yeah, it's shit. It's silly too. But then I bought a mens lifestyle magazine recently (Esquire? Or is that tits?) and it was just as vapid as any womans magazine. It barely lasted me two craps.

The Week is the only magazine worth reading. And Quilters' Monthly.

meditrina · 11/11/2011 07:13

Gardening magazines aren't gendered at all.

Unless the shelves were actually labelled "for men" and "for women", I'm not particularly fussed by this. But perhaps that's because I don't assume that general interest = male.

I don't however like the tide of pink in girl's magazines, and do think this there is a dearth of unisex children's comics on the shelves (possible exception, the Doctor Who mag and a few other tie-ins). I get/got (through the post) Aquila, Puffin Post and National Geographic Kids.

WoTmania · 11/11/2011 07:51

I can see the OPs point - the magazines are often (in my local WHS anyway) put under 'men's interests' and 'women's interests' in the way he has said.

I knit, I sew I would like to learn to quilt. I have zero interest in 'good housekeeping' type things or the how to keep your man magazines.
I used to read the New Scientist and read rugby magazines because I played it. It'sjust another way of telling us what we should be reading, thinking and doing.

lovecat · 11/11/2011 07:52

Discuss. Do you realise how bossy that sounds? My gut reaction to anyone saying that is fuck the fuck off, matey. Just thought I'd mention it...

But anyway...

Equestrian magazines aren't particularly gendered, neither are camping ones.

I agree that the positioning and demarcation of magazines in chain newsagents/supermarkets is downright silly, and it raises my hackles when I see (like in Sainsbos) that they are categorised as 'men's interest' and 'women's interest' and then split along the lines the OP mentions. However, there's no siren that goes off if a woman picks up What Motorcycle nor indeed if a man picks up Quilting Weekly.

And I'm finding my own reactions interesting that the thought of a woman reading a motorbike mag is (in my mind) a Good Thing, while the idea of a man reading a quilting magazine is mildly comical. I fear that the idea that traditionally female pastimes are somehow less worthy than male ones is more deeply ingrained than I thought. Eep.

StewieGriffinsMom · 11/11/2011 07:57

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

samandi · 11/11/2011 08:50

Is this a mock exam question? It's not very well written.

Obviously traditional "female" crafts such as embroidery, knitting are hobbies.

"General interest" does not mean "General interest except females".

Generally "women's magazines" are celebrity gossip and "men's magazines" are things like Nuts and Zoo. Both equally appalling. Sports tend to appear in either "Sports" or "Lifestyle" sections. Haven't seen a New Scientist under "men's magazines" in about 20 years.

ledkr · 11/11/2011 08:57

Ill tell you what i have always thought.
The glossy mags which do have more intelligent articles imo have fahion ages full of expensive designer clothes,whereas the more down market ones have all the high street fashion in. Are they suggesting that if you are intelligent and dont want to read about 22 year old grandmas or people with 27 children and would rather read about current affairs or issues affecting womens lives,that you are automatically rich and able to afford designer clothes? Hmm

nenevomito · 11/11/2011 10:46

I used to read mixmag when I was younger. I now read Private Eye and Classic FM magazine. I don't buy any 'womens' magazines as such, but I always like a shufti at Take A Break or Good Housekeeping when I'm in a waiting room somewhere.

15 years ago there men's magazines were just the hobbies one. As I remember it, it wasn't until the 90s that 'lads mags' as they are really took off.

The premise for both is the same: "How do I get a man / girl" just the men's have added tits.

itsalladirtylie · 11/11/2011 11:07

I agree, 'discuss' sounds arrogant, and slightly amusing given the poorly written op

manhavingbaby · 11/11/2011 18:29

I agree, 'discuss' sounds arrogant, and slightly amusing given the poorly written op. I shall put the full stop in for you itsalladirtylie. On a less facetious note, thankyou all for your posts. As this was my first thread I am now hooked. Hope to converse more on even more controversial matters with you all.

OP posts:
SolidGoldVampireBat · 11/11/2011 18:35

OLKN - I used to love BSH and AWOL as well, despite being barely able to read a pushbike, I was a right little rock chick who hung out with a lot of bikers.

And I agree that the gendering of magazines is a pisser and has got worse. I remember about 15 years ago feeling furious and betrayed at an ad campaign for 2000AD along the lines of 'It's not for girls' - when that was the comic that had produced Halo Jones.

SolidGoldVampireBat · 11/11/2011 18:35

RIDE a pushbike. Time to go and cook tea I think.

OldLadyKnowsNothing · 11/11/2011 18:40

I'm chuffed to bits to discovef you were an AWoLlie, SGB! Grin I had to ride custom bikes because I'm too short for most standard bikes, can't ride at all any more after a typing injury. :(

Sorry for the hijack, OP.

BleedyGhoulzombiez · 11/11/2011 20:29

Huh? How on earth does a typing injury prevent you from riding a motorbike? Confused Is it a grip thing?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

OldLadyKnowsNothing · 11/11/2011 20:38

Tendon damage in my right wrist means I can't hold a throttle open for any length of time. :( Tried converting one bike to a foot throttle but hadn't the co-ordination!

madwomanintheattic · 11/11/2011 21:15

dh's uncle makes patchwork quilts.
jus' sayin'. Grin

Frizzbonce · 11/11/2011 23:44

I was in Boots today at the counter, glanced down and saw one of their magazines. Front cover headline - all Christmassy and shiny:

BE YOURSELF! WHY WOMEN JUST LIKE YOU MAKE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

Underneath another headline:
TEN WAYS TO AVOID PILING ON THE CHRISTMAS POUNDS!

I was so irritated, I said: 'Oh fuck off' at the startled woman behind the counter.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.