My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Is this inappropriate/against the law or just a stupid mistake?

9 replies

Geordieminx · 04/11/2011 11:35

advert here, see what you think

OP posts:
OldLadyKnowsNothing · 04/11/2011 11:39

It's poor English, but I wouldn't call it criminal. Is it because it refers to "he" rather than "s/he"?

starsintheireyes · 04/11/2011 11:41

I would say(in my unqualified opinion!) its illegal. Afaik , you are only allowed to specify gender in certain healthcare roles.

Geordieminx · 04/11/2011 11:42

Yeah, just thought it was a bit naive really... surprised that anyone could think it sounded ok as they sent it off to print? Confused

OP posts:
DamselInDisarray · 04/11/2011 11:45

It may not strictly be illegal, but it's definitely foolish and probably leaves them open to challenge if they don't interview (or even appoint) women who do apply.

Most job adverts avoid this sort of thing by using 'you'. You will be required to...

OldLadyKnowsNothing · 04/11/2011 11:46

Well, it's plainly written by someone who has English as a second language, presumably Hindi as a first. So a different cultural perspective too. It doesn't actually say "women should not apply".

KRITIQ · 04/11/2011 13:23

It is possible to restrict a job to either a male or female (or someone of a specific ethnic group, disability status, etc.) but only under very narrow grounds (Genuine Occupational Requirements - GOR) as stated in Schedule 9, Part 1 of the Equality Act 2010.

I don't think this job would fit so the firm IS exposing itself to the risk of a legal challenge by using the pronoun "he," which suggests only men could be appointed to the role. If this were the case, they should have stated that Schedule 9, Part 1 applies, but also have the evidence to back up the fact that the job spec meets those GO requirements.)

It sounds like it's an issue of translation - not doing them any favours. It would be worth an email to the advertisers and/or the firm to point out that they could be open to a legal challenge.

EleanorRathbone · 04/11/2011 16:35

They've got a crap translator

NotJustClassic · 04/11/2011 16:57

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pendeen · 04/11/2011 22:28

As above. Translated.

It's an Indian company with an Indian view of the world.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.