My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Feminist playwrights of today? Are there any REALLY great ones?

9 replies

MumblingRagDoll · 15/08/2011 20:36

I keep thinking of April De Angelis and that's all I can think of....I know there are more...has to be.

Can anyone reccomend any recent plays or productions that have made a splash please?

OP posts:
StewieGriffinsMom · 15/08/2011 20:41

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

K999 · 15/08/2011 20:47
VictorGollancz · 15/08/2011 20:55

Sarah Kane is sadly no longer with us, but her work is very good and tremendously powerful.

MumblingRagDoll · 15/08/2011 20:57

Ooh thanks for that K99 that looks very informative. I only skimmed it but I see it only goes up to the 1990s....is there anything current? Have there been any really noticable plays in the last 2 years?

By noticable I mean....things that garner press interest or create a bit of a buzz?

OP posts:
MumblingRagDoll · 15/08/2011 20:58

yes...am familiar with Sarah Kane Victor....I was hoping to read something very now though...

OP posts:
VictorGollancz · 15/08/2011 21:05

Ah, in that case Mumbling, I am a sadsack who hasn't been out in ages. But I'll be keeping a keen eye on the thread for any suggestions!

MumblingRagDoll · 15/08/2011 21:08

Me too Victor! I never go to the theatre now I'm not in London! I don't know bloody thing....Grin

OP posts:
VictorGollancz · 15/08/2011 21:16

Mind you, I do keep an eye out (pretending that I am ver' ver' cultured without actually hefting my arse anywhere) and the last woman-authored thing that would have made me shift my arse to London was The Children's Hour - performed earlier this year but written by Lillian Hellman in 1934! Of course the prospect of Keira Knightley in a lesbian play meant that it sold out in nanoseconds. With the exception of The Woman in Black certainly everything 'big' staged near me (well outside the capital) has a male author attached to it.

MumblingRagDoll · 15/08/2011 21:21

Yes...I suppose it's not very often that a female writer breaks through....not into the West End or Broadway anyway.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.