Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Sexual harrassment 'have your say'

12 replies

David51 · 25/03/2011 14:48

The BBC are running a piece about this. You may like to contribute especially as the 'men can be victims too' party are out in force:

Why do men shout at women in the street?

OP posts:
MrsClown · 25/03/2011 16:04

Thanks David51, and will register and say my piece!

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 25/03/2011 16:23

"In the UK and US, most women will experience only shouting, but in many parts of the world street harassment can escalate to groping and more frequent public sexual assaults."

Says who? Angry

flippinada · 25/03/2011 16:26

I'm glad someone has started a thread about this. I spotted it today and was planning to jump in if nobody else did!

Have you read the comments though? Usual whining, entitled bs from men when women have the gall to say they don't like being treated this way.

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 25/03/2011 16:30

"Human beings are essentially wild animals driven by eons of deep routed biological impulse. The female form is designed to attract stimulate sexual interest in the male. In the 21st century, we are supposed to forget all this and walk down the street like "civilized" beings. I'm not defending harassment, but you need to understand the reason why this happens. It's not culture, it's biology."

for example.

flippinada · 25/03/2011 16:31

Apparently lots of men have hurt feelings over this. How dare we, waa waa you hate all men etc.

I think some people see the word "feminist" and automatically go into defensive mode.

ElephantsAndMiasmas · 25/03/2011 16:45

Yes flippin - they have clearly drawn their inispiration from

David51 · 25/03/2011 16:46

Sorry - should have warned you about the utter prickishness of some of the comments

'Feminist' news stories always seem to bring these guys crawling out from under their stones

OP posts:
David51 · 25/03/2011 17:27

hehe well spotted

OP posts:
flippinada · 25/03/2011 17:35

Grin AyeRobot

Its infuriating and not a little depressing that when women stick their head over the parapet to say actually we DON'T like this they meet with a barrage of comments effectively telling them to put up or shut up.

Its like being insulted twice.

Once for being harrassed, and again for being dismissed and patronised.

flippinada · 25/03/2011 17:42

Great link elephants :)

flippinada · 25/03/2011 18:02

Having girded myself to go back and have another look, I'm glad to see so many measured and thoughtful comments on there - have a few of you been posting?

It's particularly encouraging to see comments from men who understand this sort of behaviour is actually threatening and unpleasant.

This is a particular bugbear of mine (can you tell?)

I've been subject to this sort of behaviour more times than I can count and also been told I had to put up with it, or thats just how things are Angry.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.