Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Feminism / motherhood in Denmark

5 replies

Grumpla · 06/01/2011 08:59

Apologies if this has already been posted, thought it was an interesting article.

OP posts:
StewieGriffinsMom · 06/01/2011 09:04

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StewieGriffinsMom · 06/01/2011 09:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grumpla · 06/01/2011 09:57

Is that Danish predictive text? :)

OP posts:
flyingcloud · 06/01/2011 12:29

Really interesting...

nutsandtangerines · 07/01/2011 14:30

"we, too, want to be responsible for our children's dysfunction!"

• is my favourite line.

Very interesting.
    I don't like the expression "children being brought up by someone else" used for child care, which the English journalist uses. I use child care, but all the same, my partner and I bring up our child. We just have to have help looking after her when we are working.

I would like more information about the Danish working culture. I have always been ambivalent (long before having children) about the high demands placed on people by high pressure jobs - as they always seem to be - no matter how junior or badly paid I have always felt pressured by work and by the associated commute. Yet without a job I feel lost and adrift. I was astonished by how much returning to work after mat leave with dd restored my sense of health and self; but now I am pregnant again, and tired, and DP is also working full time, it's just too hard and I honestly feel on the edge of falling apart. I think (for me) the ideal solution is a more manageable, flexible job in a culture which recognises the validity and importance of your life outside work. I would be interested in knowing what the usual hours of work are in Copenhagen (including commute) for full time workers. Here it is impossible to do a normal full time job and use standard 8 - 6 childcare - the childcare hours are too short to allow for work + commute. If everyone in Copenhagen is working, that can't be the case.

In short I felt the English journalist's decision to work freelance part time is a personal, private and rather privileged approach to that problem and I think a political, public, general analysis of working conditions might be more generally fruitful: it might be better for more people if "full time" jobs were more realistically manageable, rather than a socially sanctioned middle-class only arena of "personal choice" to work part time for a certain few who earn enough per hour, or whose partners do.

I suppose I have less sympathy for her worrying that the Danish social culture might not support her choice to work 2 days a week, than for everyone else who has no choice about when and how they work for brutal economic reasons.
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.