Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Anyone listening to Radio 2?

10 replies

AnnieLobeseder · 04/01/2011 12:44

Apparently it's 'feminist claptrap' that some women don't agree with being told to stay home and not go out at night when there is a possible serial killer on the loose (Joanna Yates murder).

This is what Reclaim the Night was about - women (and everyone else) being free to walk anywhere at any time without fear.

So do you think this applies all the time? Or under special circumstances, such as when a serial killer is out there, should be hide in our houses. After all, standing up for your principles is all well and good, but you might be killed for them.

The debate on the radio is getting very heated.....

OP posts:
chibi · 04/01/2011 12:48

not listening but grrrr

dittany · 04/01/2011 20:52

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scottishmummy · 05/01/2011 19:10

gender of perpetrator/s unknown,men dont need a blanket ban on movement in Bristol.ludicrous to suggest so.

some men murder
some women murder

JessinAvalon · 05/01/2011 21:12

Good article from The Independent on this topic:

www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/joan-smith/joan-smith-how-about-telling-men-not-women-to-stay-indoors-2175960.html

Warning: do not read the comments!

scottishmummy · 06/01/2011 00:42

skewed logic.majority of men not perpetrators here and reducing this to banish men is simplistic

simplistic and flawed to see as such

the point here is many people in Clifton probably are inhibited going about their business and feel fearful.that impingement and element of fear is detrimental to everyone not just females

JessinAvalon · 06/01/2011 00:58

I thought Joan's article was a very good one. A lot of women I know are questioning the advice that has been given to them. I live in Bristol and it's just not an option to go around with someone else all or even most of the time.

I'd like to tackle the root causes of male violence against women. No, we don't know that it was a man that committed this crime but I'd be surpised, based on past crimes, and the strength needed to overpower another human being, if it wasn't a man. That's not being sexist.

That's being realistic.

ElfPantsAtMidnightMass · 06/01/2011 01:06

But...we are always being told to watch out on the streets (including in this case), when wasn't Jo Yeates taken from her house? Not safer to be out and about then?

scottishmummy · 06/01/2011 01:06

as individuals with capacity one needs to weigh up the advice.no violence act is ever warranted.whether undertaken against a man or woman.

lets not forget Ms Yeates had a dad and brother,both suffering as result of this

Bonsoir · 06/01/2011 01:12

I don't think the advice has bad intentions and, if I were still living in Clifton (as I did as a student many years ago), I would undoubtedly feel anxious and be extra vigilant about going around and about after dark.

Having said that, I am feeling extra vigilant in Paris right now, because the husband of a friend of DP was stabbed and beaten to death mindlessly and with no motive in his own apartment one evening last week - by a tenant of his. The murderer is under lock and key, but it still really makes me wake up to the fact that we do not know who lives in our midst.

JessinAvalon · 06/01/2011 01:22

No one has forgotten that, ScottishMummy.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.