Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex and gender discussions

Where can I find other feminists?

13 replies

ButterpieBride · 09/08/2010 08:45

I really want to join some kind of feminist discussion group, but can't find one. I'm near Newcastle-surely there are some Geordie feminists?

OP posts:
ElephantsAndMiasmas · 09/08/2010 09:40

Found www.ukfeminista.org.uk/organisations.html?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=6&sobi2Id=38 this on the UK feminista site - look like it's through the university, but possible that non-students can join too i guess.

This was on the F-word:

Newscastle Feminists Unite

Mailing List details: groups.yahoo.com/group/the_f_word

Want to get in touch with feminists in and around Newcastle and share news about protests, action and events? Thist list is especially for you...

ButterpieBride · 09/08/2010 11:39

i've joined both of those mailing lists, and nothing seems to be going on. I'd set my own thing up, but not sure I know enough...

OP posts:
ElephantsAndMiasmas · 09/08/2010 11:52

I bet you do! And surely the whole point is to find stuff out/talk it out, you don't have to know everything to start with.

ButterpieBride · 09/08/2010 11:59

:) Ooh, I'm tempted! Hmm...

OP posts:
ISNT · 09/08/2010 12:06

The fawcett society also have local groups. My local one has nothing going on at the mo but still worth a look maybe.

ISNT · 09/08/2010 12:08

there isn't one for newcastle, maybe you could start one! You prob have to be a member of fawcett though...

will have another think

ButterpieBride · 09/08/2010 13:14

I am a member of fawcett, I think.

OP posts:
RamblingRosa · 09/08/2010 13:16

Are you a member of a trade union? If not, would you consider joining (assuming you're working)? Many unions have very active (read very feminist!) regional women's committees.

ButterpieBride · 09/08/2010 13:33

I can't- I'm self employed. I'm a memeber of the Labour Party and of the Fabian and Fawcett Societies though, if that is any good.

OP posts:
RamblingRosa · 09/08/2010 13:51

You can be a member of a union even if you're self employed (eg. many journalists are self employed but still join the NUJ).

I would have thought the Labour Party, the Fabian Society and the Fawcett Society would all be excellent places to meet like minded feminists in your region. Having said that, I'm ashamed to say I'm not a member of any of them so I could be totally wrong! I have a lot of friends who are active feminists within the Labour Party. I could try to find out a bit more from them about regional women's groups/committees.

ButterpieBride · 09/08/2010 13:59

Brill :) I have two brilliant woman MPs round here (Sharon Hodgson and Bridget Phillipson) so I really should start looking in the party. I always worry that if I turn up to one of the party events and don't know the entire history of the labour movement, I'll get ridiculed.

The Fabians are rubbish- I asked them if they could run an event up north and they said they held one in Birmingham once. Hmm I went to something in London at the beginning of the year and it was absolutely brilliant though.

So, I could join a union then? I only sell Usborne books, is that ok?

OP posts:
RamblingRosa · 09/08/2010 14:10

I don't see why not. I'm guessing Usdaw would be your best bet here. You could always call their helpline and ask. I'm pretty sure Usdaw would have active women's committees.

You should defnitely see how you could get more involved in the Labour Party too. Why not contact your women MPs and tell them you want to get more involved. I'm sure they'd be delighted!

SkaterGrrrrl · 18/08/2010 19:59

You could try contacting Object - they are a national organisation with Feminist Fridays.

www.object.org.uk/index.php/local-groups

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.