My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Excessive hair loss 5 months postpartum?

2 replies

Nezuko · 27/02/2022 08:44

Hi, I'm a ftm to a 5 month old. I've been warned during my pregnancy that pp hairloss can last for 6 months for some women, my dc is only a couple of weeks away of turning 6 months old but my hair loss hasn't decreased (if anything, I've lost significantly more amounts of hair than ever) and it's making me worried. I used to have really thick hair before getting pregnant, my hair has become quite thin & sparse in comparison Sad I've had a pph (lost over 1l of blood) & was prescribed iron supplements to treat my anemia. I'm aware that iron deficiency plays a factor in hair loss but I did a blood test a few months ago and was told by the midwife that I could stop taking them. I would really appreciate hearing some advice on whether this normal or not, has anyone else had a similar experience to mine?

OP posts:
MRS54321 · 27/02/2022 08:50

It happens to most of us pal - hence the New Mum Hair Cut.
I’m currently in the mental “growing back “phase , where all the hair is growing up and out at the same mad length
I was literally bald at 5 months PP.
it’s looking better now, but most of us have to take the length up for a year or two

Silk pillow case, plait instead of bauble and okaplex3 to help what you’ve got left

dementedpixie · 27/02/2022 08:53

My hair loss didn't start right away and then lasted quite a few months. During pregnancy you lose less hair so you have 9 months of extra hair to get rid of.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.