My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Am I normal? Period related

10 replies

icannotbebothered · 07/02/2022 14:30

Hey all.. so I'm 27, my sister has been trying for a baby for 2 years now, which has got me a bit paranoid about my own fertility I guess. When I was a teenager I would have 4 periods a year, roughly one every 4 months, I then went onto the pill to help regulate them, and I was on the pill from age 16 to age 22. For the last 5 years I've not been on any sort of contraception (except condoms). I do now get a period every month so it's not like it was when I was a teenager.

Last year I started tracking my periods using the Flo app, and It seems like my periods are quite irregular.

My cycle history since January 2021 is:

1. 25 days
  2. 45 days
  3. 35 days
  4. 28 days
  5. 45 days
  6. 31 days
  7. 42 days
  8. 33 days
  9. 42 days

10. 29 days
11. 35 days

Is this normal? Should I be worried? I don't really know how periods and menstruation and everything all works 😩 I really should know.
OP posts:
emmathedilemma · 07/02/2022 16:18

I would suggest that having a period every 35+ days is not one a month! They're quite erratic and mostly long cycles. Are you a healthy weight?

D0lphine · 07/02/2022 16:26

Are you trying for a baby OP? Or wanting to start trying soon?

No I wouldn't say these are regular cycles. Most cycles are 28 days give or take a couple of days.

However you're young so chances of conceiving are statistically v good.

Also remember sometimes the man has poor sport quality too. Your sisters infertility may have nothing to do with her! It might be to do with her OH!

As women we are always "blamed" for infertility. Remember this IS NOT always the case - takes 2 to tango.

D0lphine · 07/02/2022 16:27

You could always get some ovulation sticks and check if / when you're ovulating?

Mushrooms0up · 07/02/2022 16:31

Have you been to the GP? It could be PCOS. Definitely go to the doctor and see if you can get a diagnosis

justamushypea · 07/02/2022 16:32

I was like you. I have never been 'regular' except when I was on the pill.
I had two perfect babies!
If you are concerned though you should go to the doctors.

AttilaTheMeerkat · 07/02/2022 17:04

A "normal" cycle is a cycle length of between 21 and 35 days or with less than 4 days of variation from month to month.

Polycystic ovaries or its related syndrome PCOS can cause periods to become irregular in nature as can problems with the thyroid gland. It is also quite possible to have periods without ovulating; with longer cycles this scenario is far more likely.

You need to see the GP; ideally he will send you to have a day 2 blood test done to check and compare your LH (luteinising hormone) level against that of your FSH (follicle stimulation hormone). Normally these two are about the same; in PCOS there is a marked elevation of LH to FSH.

Ovulation predictor kits and sticks are pretty much useless to use if the menstrual cycle is irregular as these can give misleading results.

You need a diagnosis of any underlying problem first and foremost.

Namechange600 · 07/02/2022 17:09

I had cycles like that (v irregular) and was diagnosed Pcos. Later also diagnosed endometriosis and adenomyosis - had terrible pain and other symptoms.
I went onto have 3 children but had 4 years of infertility along the way, two miscarriages (one was serious with big blood loss), and one subchronionic hematoma.
So even with big problems it can work out, but takes longer. Best of luck

icannotbebothered · 07/02/2022 17:18

@emmathedilemma

I would suggest that having a period every 35+ days is not one a month! They're quite erratic and mostly long cycles. Are you a healthy weight?

Haha true, maybe that made me sound dumb saying one a month, it is roughly one a month, but some months I might miss and get it at the beginning of the next month rather than the end of the last month if that makes sense! I'm a healthy weight, I'm 5"6 and weigh 9.4 stone
OP posts:
icannotbebothered · 07/02/2022 17:20

@D0lphine

Are you trying for a baby OP? Or wanting to start trying soon?

No I wouldn't say these are regular cycles. Most cycles are 28 days give or take a couple of days.

However you're young so chances of conceiving are statistically v good.

Also remember sometimes the man has poor sport quality too. Your sisters infertility may have nothing to do with her! It might be to do with her OH!

As women we are always "blamed" for infertility. Remember this IS NOT always the case - takes 2 to tango.

Not trying for a baby but would like to in the next 3 years ish! And you're right about that, it could be him, although theyv both had all the tests done and it's all come back fine so who knows! My mum and dad also struggled to have kids and went through ivf, so it all makes me a bit worried!
OP posts:
NrlySp · 07/02/2022 17:29

Yes PCOS is a possibility. Research it and then go and get the tests from the doctor.
I have it - and two healthy children easily convinced. Of course everyone is different

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.