My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Mirena coil pain 5 months not improving

5 replies

Sweetvanilla17 · 05/02/2022 12:40

I had a mirena coil fitted 5 months ago for painful periods and ovulation. The issue is since having it fitted I’ve not only been getting period pain when im bleeding but period pain all the time. Most days actually. The pain is so severe and much stronger than before sometimes. I bleed randomly and wear pads/liners every day.

I had my strings checked 2 weeks after inserting but the nurse couldn’t find them so sent me for a scan. Apparently it was in the right place. Doctor tried to find them a few weeks later and couldn’t. I was there for some stronger pain relief and she referred me to the gynaecologist. This referral was made in November, my appointment isn’t until end of march.

I went to the nurse and asked her to remove it and she refused yesterday saying that because no one can find the strings they will need to try and remove it at the hospital. So will I have to explain all of this to the gynaecologist in march? I can see they booked me for an appointment but cancelled it because im already due to see the gynaecologist in march. Im so upset i just wish I could remove it myself I don’t want to deal with this pain every day. I had to be put to sleep to have it fitted because I nearly fainted during my smear test as it hurt so much. The gynaecologist im booked in with is a different one to the one who fitted it.

Does anyone have any advice?

OP posts:
Sweetvanilla17 · 05/02/2022 12:42

The nurse told me the first time she checked it that I’ve got a retroverted uterus but surely the gynaecologist would have mentioned this to me? Or they would have picked this up on my ultrasound. So I’m questioning how the nurse can tell with a speculum when no one has ever pointed it out to me before.

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 05/02/2022 15:15

It could be that endometriosis is the root cause of your pain now, it is a common cause of severe and or ongoing painful periods. I hope you get to see the gynae soon, I would ask this person about endometriosis when you see him. Any pain that is cyclical in nature and or gets worse up to and including menses should be checked for endometriosis.

Mirena is one treatment given to women (also because it’s cheap) but it’s not suitable for all to have.

Even if you have a retroverted uterus, and I also wonder how the nurse at all determined that, it should not cause a problem.

I would contact the gynaecology dept at the hospital and see if it’s possible for you to be seen before the end of March (sometimes cancellations do crop up).

Sweetvanilla17 · 05/02/2022 18:02

@AttilaTheMeerkat thank you for the reply I appreciate that 🙏

OP posts:
Sweetvanilla17 · 06/02/2022 10:04

I’m worried that she won’t remove it. I’m going to have to explain everything to her from the start. I’ve heard so many stories of women who can’t get them removed. Does anyone know anything that I can come back with if she tries saying to try it for a bit longer. That’s what they said to me when I had it. It’s been 5 months and I can’t cope with the pain much longer. I don’t think I can wait until the end of march. I’m going to see if I can write to the hospital to explain everything.

OP posts:
Sweetvanilla17 · 09/02/2022 18:18

They couldn’t find it at the hospital so they have booked me in to have it removed under sedation. Does anyone know if I will be able to feel the pain? I was crying today and shaking. It was awful. I really don’t want to feel any pain again and have never been sedated before so I don’t know what to expect.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.