My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Thrush that keeps coming back

4 replies

kittykat818 · 21/12/2021 18:34

Hi, I have been getting thrush for about four years now. It started when I first started having sex so I am worried that it is caused by intercourse. I've also been with the same partner since I started having sex so I am worried that it is something related to our bodies' chemistry just not mixing well together. We both treat ourselves whenever I show signs of thrush and I have done a few long-term 6-month course of fluconazole and this keeps it away but it comes back a few months after I stop taking the medicine. Doctors are at a loss as to why I keep getting it as all my tests (HIV/Diabetes etc) come back normal. I have also tried stopping using scented pads, coming of the contraceptive pill, using multigyn gel and probiotics, switching to 100% cotton knickers and nothing seems to work. Could my body just not react well to sex/my boyfriend and is there anything I can do to fix this? I have also read about candida overgrowth and doing a no sugar diet, I am not sure if I would be able to stick to that long term as when I trialed it for a few weeks I lost a crazy amount of weight. Any help and advice would be extremely appreciated as I am getting desperate to fix it, I dream of a life with no thrush after all these years! Thanks x

OP posts:
kittykat818 · 21/12/2021 20:20

bump

OP posts:
over50andfab · 22/12/2021 10:59

Just seen this…how frustrating for you! Thrush as you’ve discovered tends to happen due to changes in the vaginal biome, and sex (including semen) can be a cause of this as can periods and also menopause due to lower estrogen levels. BV is another thing that is commonly experienced due to changes in vaginal PH levels.

It sounds like you’re doing all you can, though using condoms might be something else to try. Another thing would be (assuming that you have actually been tested for thrush rather than guessed) to find which candidiasis strain you have and trying different anti fungals.

Old article I think but something in this might help healthinfo.healthengine.com.au/vaginal-thrush-yeast-infection-vulvovaginal-candidiasis-vvt-vvc

Elnetthairnet · 22/12/2021 11:02

I got recurrent thrush from oral sex despite partner taking fluconazole. Wasn’t worth it so we stopped, not had it since.

BuddyIsMadeOfLove · 22/12/2021 11:13

I feel for you, it's awful to have it.
I had it for a while, and suffered . Tried various things, NOTHING helped until I stopped eating sugar.
You are right, there is a connection between Candida and thrush.
Stopping with sugar was hard, but it worked. I haven't had thrush for years now, even when (occasionally) I eat cake or a piece of chocolate.
It's definitely worth a try.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.