My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Is this too heavy? (Warning, photo of blood)

63 replies

doodiedee · 04/10/2021 15:14

Hi, I’m at a bit of a loss. I’ve been asking my GP for help in regards to my period for months, all over the phone. They offered me pain killers but nothing to help with the bleeding. They’re really heavy but are over within 3/4 days and the GP said a heavy period is considered to last more than 7 days. I’m on my period now and yesterday at work I bled through a Super Tampax, a pad and ruined my underwear within an hour. I felt myself flood. There was also a large clot. The clot in the photo is underneath the tampon too, it’s huge. I had my phone with me so I took a photo - more so in case I’m not believed by the GP again - but this is a regular occurrence and it’s awful.
Any advice? Am I over reacting or is this too heavy? Sorry for the photo but we’re all ladies, right?

Is this too heavy? (Warning, photo of blood)
OP posts:
Feelslikealot · 04/10/2021 15:15

That's really excessive... Get back to the GP and don't let them fob you off. Women's health is famously not taken seriously.

MildCreamyCheddar · 04/10/2021 15:17

Definitely go back to the GP. If no joy, ask for a second opinion, of a female GP if your current one isn't.

H0cusP0cus · 04/10/2021 15:19

Yep get back to them op that's a lot

MakkaPakkas · 04/10/2021 15:21

I've never had that much in an hour. It's probably more than a day's worth for me. I'd deffo see the doctor.

LouLou198 · 04/10/2021 15:24

Yes that is a lot, didn't have that much even after childbirth. I would be definitely asking for a GP appointment.

elliejjtiny · 04/10/2021 15:25

Mine are like that if I don't take meds. I've found that taking ibuprofen at the maximum dose throughout my period (so not just when it's painful) really helps although I'm not sure why. I take tranexamic too but I was told last week that you aren't supposed to take both together. Pharmacist told me it was probably fine though as I'd been taking them both for 7 years with no problems. Thank goodness for that as I would really struggle without them.

Dontforgetyourbrolly · 04/10/2021 15:28

I think the pharmacist can sell tranxemic acid otc, so that might help in the short term .

PeonyTime · 04/10/2021 15:29

Yes, flooding a pad in an hour is excessive, and needs someone to investigate.
Can you see a different GP?

Daisydolly1986 · 04/10/2021 15:30

Poor you. Get back to the Dr. I bled like that before having my children. I had Stage 4 Endometriosis, which I had surgery for and things improved. I'm currently on the Mirena coil between pregnancies, and have zero bleeding.... feel like crap though! Pros and cons!!

Noapplejustcrumble · 04/10/2021 15:31

This is definitely too heavy. I had periods like this due to endometriosis and fibroids and they were debilitating, and I ended up having a hysterectomy after I had had my children. Ridiculous for your GP to say that this is not a heavy period as it doesn’t last for 7 days, it definitely is a heavy period. Go back to see a different GP.

BasiliskStare · 04/10/2021 15:31

I had this @doodiedee - there is a thing called tranexemic acid ( taken in tablet form ) which can mitigate this - but prescribed by GP - worked for me - I do get you . I would go back to GP and ask again and specifically ask if those tablets would help you.

ChristmasWithDC · 04/10/2021 15:32

This is pretty standard for me for the first few days of my period. I regularly need iron infusions as a result. I’ve been told to have the coil fitted but I refuse to have anything else put in me that o can’t physically remove myself. I previously had the contraceptive implant which made me suicidal and I had to threaten to cut it out myself before anyone would consider removing it. I was fobbed off by the GP for years until I showed a photo similar to yours but they still refused to believe it could’ve happened over the course of a couple of hours.

I hope you get some answers OP

redfernstation · 04/10/2021 15:39

That's heavy. .and frankly your gp is an idiot. I had very similar due to fibroids which have since been taken care of. get your iron levels checked. ..lack of it can be both cause and consequence of heavy periods. try ibuprofen. ask gp about tranexamic acid..I don't believe it is available over the counter anymore. lara briden in her excellent book "the period repair manual " suggests dietary changes such as avoiding certain milks and grains. ..that may be worth reading.

but go and see gp again..is there another dr at your practice you can see? at one point I had a mirena which was fab..but the clots pulled it our (twice)

goos luck.and don't put up with it!

EatSleepRantRepeat · 04/10/2021 15:40

Yes that's a lot - when I was experiencing heavy periods like that, I was being treated for anaemia and fibroids. Insist on seeing the gp and show them the photo, a lot of them think we're exaggerating so it's good to have photo evidence.

GivenUpEntirely · 04/10/2021 15:41

It's 'normal' in as much as a lot of women endure periods like this, but it's not normal to just have to put up with it.

When mine took a turn like this my GP immediately referred me for scans and prescribed tranexamic acid to help in the short term.

It turns out I have fibroids. I opted to try the mini pill as a first solution rather than anything more intrusive and it's made the world of difference for me.

Please seek help and insist on a referral, if they refuse ask for the complaints process for your practice and to speak to another GP. Don't let them fob you off.

Iwant2move · 04/10/2021 15:42

You are not over reacting. Mine were like that in my forties and early fifties. I had fibroids.

ittakes2 · 04/10/2021 15:43

I had really heavy periods that were so heavy they were over within a few days. I had to change my pad every hour and a few times a night. I had an investigation and was offered a hystertectamy for my giant womb! But I had acunpuncture and in a few months they rescannned and no more giant womb.

Anon778833 · 04/10/2021 15:48

The GP sounds rubbish - get a second opinion. Losing that much blood is a concern and you may become anaemic from this I'd say.

always2tired · 04/10/2021 15:53

I had the coil removed and this is what my periods were like for the first 2 months after. It was horrific I could feel the blood pouring out. You have my sympathy and please get it checked. 💐

Morgantowers · 04/10/2021 15:53

Get referred to a gynaecologist. I was seeing one for a different reason but during conversation she asked about periods. They are similar to yours but not perhaps quite as bad and she immediately prescribed me 2 different drugs to take. She said I don’t need to put up with it.

That part of the conversation literally took about 3 mins my head was in a whirl! I’d always minimised my heavy periods and actually felt pleased that they finished within 4 days.

CuriousaboutSamphire · 04/10/2021 15:57

It's probably normal, as in many women have periods that heavy. i used to.

But you don't have to just put up with it. As others have said, get another GP, there are meds that can make a HUGE difference.

Idontlike · 04/10/2021 16:00

It was normal for me but only because I had fibroids. I was constantly anaemic even on prescription iron tablets.

You could ask for tranexamic acid, that reduces the bleeding. The used to sell it OTC in boots but not sure if they stopped that or not.

Tampax brand are pretty useless agains heavy flow as they expand lengthways rather than widthways. Lilets are probably the best tbh.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BabbleBee · 04/10/2021 16:00

My GP started listening to me when I switched to a mooncup and told them in mls how much I was losing.

DumpedByText · 04/10/2021 16:22

I had a hysterectomy at. 46 for this exact reason. Super plus extra tampons, pad and I'd flood through them in less than an hour.

It's not normal and you shouldn't have to just accept it. I'd insist on a gynae referral, if your family is complete maybe consider ablation.

ladygindiva · 04/10/2021 16:29

Another vote go back to gp. Mine were rarely as heavy as that and I was offered ablation. Then peri hit and hrt seems to have lightened mine, or maybe they're just getting lighter. But yes, defo go back and seek help.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.