My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Fed up of acne

18 replies

Jellybeanlovehearts · 05/09/2021 19:45

I'm nearly 40, don't take the pill but take erythromycin for acne. It's not working and I feel miserable. Acne is on my chin, around my nose and mouth. It's sore aswell as unsightly. I've tried Paula's Choice and other lotions and potions and they don't work! What can I do? I don't want to take a strong drug like ro-accutane as the side effects sound dreadful.

OP posts:
bjjgirl · 05/09/2021 19:51

I discovered dermatica in April and I have had clear skin since June, after having acne on and off for 28 years!

I have a referral code, it's a monthly prescription cream and it's changed my life

www.dermatica.co.uk/referrer/MV2G4N

PatchworkElmer · 05/09/2021 19:54

Go back to your GP and ask for something else. Have you tried anything topical, like Duac?

I’ve had acne for years too- finally started isotretinoin this month at the age of 34. I’ve been ok so far for side effects but it is early days. I think I need to try is because EVERYTHING else has failed, and the isotretinoin will hopefully kick it into touch for good. The dermatologist said the course should be around 6 months so I’m trying to think of it as very short term pain for a significant gain.

PlanDeRaccordement · 05/09/2021 19:57

Ditch the lotions and potions
The acne you have now is probably caused by bacteria that are now resistant to erythromycin if you’ve been taking it long term
So you need to get to GP and try a different medication.

bjjgirl · 05/09/2021 19:58

Before the dermatica I had been on everything including roaccutaine 3 separate times

seymour · 05/09/2021 20:04

Roaccutane worked miracles for me. I was worried about taking it especially as I had really bad PND a few years ago but it was fine. Just slightly dry lips!

Dinkydonk55 · 05/09/2021 20:14

It’s obviously a personal choice but I went on roaccutane this time last year, aged 39. Side effects were irritating but totally bearable abs totally temporary. There’s always the option to stop or go on very low dose.
I’m so glad I did and can’t believe that now my period sneaks up on me as I don’t get a single spot when they used to be terrible leading up to the time of the month.

Dinkydonk55 · 05/09/2021 20:16

Also agree re depression - I was convinced my mood was going to be affected as I have a history of depression/PND in the past but I was fine. Doc said strangely it doesn’t follow that if you’ve had depression before you’re more likely to be affected in this way by roaccutane

CornedBeef451 · 05/09/2021 20:20

I've always had spots but not full blown acne, although lots of cystic spots along my jaw and middle of my cheeks,

I've been amazed that they've gone for the first time in 30 years and all I had to do was change absolutely everything about my diet!

I now don't eat sugar, processed food or vegetable oils and am fairly low carb.

I don't know if the weight loss has affected the PCOS that caused the acne or if it's just the better diet but it is pretty amazing,

Hope you find something that works for you.

beautifullymad · 05/09/2021 20:24

Duac from your GP. Huge difference in a month. You apply every day and it prevents more forming.

Peraltiago · 05/09/2021 20:36

I had acne for 20 years, tried most things at the doctors including erythromycin, limecycline, duac and pretty much every over the counter potion, including that La Roche Posay effaclar at that everyone raves about. Did absolutely nothing for me. Was pretty much resigned to it when I tried Dermatica to help with pigmentation. I can’t say it’s fixed the pigmentation, but what it has done is completely cleared my acne up. I was flabbergasted! I have clear skin for the first time since my early teens. I assume it’s the retinol. It’s not that expensive so I would give it a try.

drpaddington · 05/09/2021 20:55

I had the same problem for years. I saw my GP and asked to change contraceptive pill because acne was listed as a side effect to the one I was on. He said we should try other treatments first and prescribed long term antibiotics and a retinoid gel, which did help a bit but not enough. I struggled on for about 4 years then happened to mention it at my annual pill review with the nurse. She changed my contraceptive pill (now on Yasmin) and now I only get the occasional spot.

Still cross at the GP for not letting me change years ago. The acne caused me so much anxiety, I would avoid social events when it was really bad. The gel made my skin really sensitive so I'd react to even the mildest products- I even had to be prescribed hydrocortisone cream to clear up a particularly bad reaction. And the antibiotics gave me painful heartburn. All that could've been easily avoided!

minipie · 05/09/2021 21:03

Different things work for different people OP so all you can do is try stuff and see if any works for you. Things you can try:

Pills:
Pill (Dianette or Yasmin)
Spironolactone
Roaccutane
Oral antibiotics

Topical:
Benzoyl peroxide (eg Duac)
Adapalene
Niacinamide
Tretinoin
Topical antibiotics

Some of these topical ones are available from places like Dermatica or Skin & Me

Who prescribed the erythromycin? GP or dermatologist? If GP I would be going back and asking to be referred to a dermatologist, if derm I would go back and ask to try something else.

Unfortunately I have tried all the above and none have worked for me. I seem to be weirdly immune to skin medication.

TwilightSkies · 05/09/2021 21:09

What’s your diet like?

Jellybeanlovehearts · 05/09/2021 21:45

Who prescribed the erythromycin?

GP

What’s your diet like?

Not great. Too much sugar and cards.

OP posts:
Jellybeanlovehearts · 05/09/2021 21:46

Carbs

OP posts:
ilovepuggies · 05/09/2021 22:00

I used a natural olive oil soap and it’s been great at treating my bad skin and it’s also very moisturising too.

tiredanddangerous · 05/09/2021 22:04

I feel your pain op. I'm 41 and still struggling with acne. I use effaclar duo in the morning and niacinimide at night and they make a real difference. I've resigned myself to never having clear skin though unfortunately. I've had everything the GP can prescribe over the years and none of it cleared my skin completely. Dianette was pretty good but I'm too old for it now. Antibiotics did absolutely nothing.

bringincrazyback · 07/09/2021 17:03

The pill was the only thing that worked for me. Specifically Dianette (this was some time ago, there are probably others now). Actually worked better than Roaccutane for me.

If it's cystic acne my experience is a lot of remedies don't even touch it. Unfortunately.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.