My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

I’m 42 and my PMT is getting scary. What help is there?

10 replies

GreatBigBird · 28/06/2021 17:57

I’m hesitant to go to the dr in case he thinks I’m a weirdo. I moved house and since then have only been in to the dr (v. small practice) for a smear, a breast exam (sent me for follow up tests and came back as benign) and persistent thrush [embarrassed]

Over the last year, I’ve noticed that before I start my period I have had at least one deeply depressive day a day or two before I start (knowing doesn’t help me cope).

I spent most of yesterday in bed crying and depressed after a big argument with dh. Carried on feeling depressed today (we have new noisy neighbours who moved in two months after us - I can’t bare this and want to move, dh thinks that if we move so soon we might get noisy neighbours again. I feel trapped).

I’ve been feeling deeply depressed all day. About 5 minutes ago, I feel something lift. I’ve just been to the toilet and my period has started.

I can’t live like this.

OP posts:
GreatBigBird · 28/06/2021 17:57

I am also withdrawing from daily life and it’s affecting the dcs. Knowing the pattern doesn’t help when I’m going through it.

OP posts:
GreatBigBird · 28/06/2021 17:58

I’m scared of myself and feel out of control.

OP posts:
Aquamarine1029 · 28/06/2021 18:00

It's peri-menopause, op, and it can be brutal. Get on HRT, it's a lifesaver.

QuentinBunbury · 28/06/2021 18:02

Yep. HRT

Aquamarine1029 · 28/06/2021 18:02
Hax · 28/06/2021 18:03

Mirena coil. Saved me.

GreatBigBird · 28/06/2021 18:05

Is hrt like hormones in the pill? I’ve never been able to tolerate the pill - turned me depressive. Eased as soon as I stopped taking it - tried several types.

OP posts:
Justkeepleft · 28/06/2021 18:19

@Hax

Mirena coil. Saved me.

Me too. I felt my moods were felt very deely, it was not a great time.
The thrush could be hormone related too. Before my old mirena got replaced I only had to think of sex and I got thrush. As soon as the new one was fitted no problems.
Aquamarine1029 · 28/06/2021 19:48

Just because the pill didn't work for you doesn't mean the same applies to HRT.

QuentinBunbury · 28/06/2021 21:58

No hormonal contraception works for me but hrt is fine. Some women are sensitive to synthetic progesterone but the HRT is bioidentical and works better.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.