My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Pains with mirena

10 replies

JamieFrasersLover · 05/04/2021 12:04

Can anyone advise how long the period like pains go on for after having mirena inserted?
I had it on 26th March and I have constant period like pains all day every day. I'm taking Co codomol and ibuprofen every day several times and I don't want to be having to take painkillers to get through the days for months on end. The only relief I get is by lying down as sitting and standing makes the pains worse. I had this to get rid of the period pains not to put up with them 24 hours a day. I'm really thinking of getting it removed because I'm fed up with it.
Any advice or answers please?

OP posts:
ZeroFuchsGiven · 05/04/2021 12:09

I would contact your gp or gynea dept, this doesn't sound right, maybe it is not fitted correctly?

I can only go by my own experience and I never had pain like that although I did have it removed as I was not getting on with it.

JamieFrasersLover · 05/04/2021 12:29

I did phone them and they said oh it's only been a while give it time. They fitted under anaesthetic so said it was all checked for placement then. I said I was prepared to give it time but I don't think it's normal to be having to take so many painkillers every day. I'm not bleeding at all. Its just the constant "period" pains.
I want a hysterectomy but they are very unwilling as I'm 39 and too young apparently.
My periods are absolutely hell normally, to the point I want to rip my own womb out with the pain but they've found no endometriosis so they said to try this mirena.
I'm so frustrated, I know it's only been a while. Sad

OP posts:
R0llonspring · 05/04/2021 13:53

I am on my second Mirena now. First one I only had a few days of pain with, but the second one it went on for about a week and was quite unpleasant.

Similar to you I have it for heavy painful periods/suspected endometriosis and it took a few months, but has significantly helped all my symptoms and I am glad I stuck with it.

What stood out to me was that you get some relief when lying down. I didn't find that and it might not mean anything, but for peace of mind I think you should call your GP, or whoever fitted it, to discuss it again.

emmathedilemma · 06/04/2021 09:54

The fitting pain went away quite quickly but it gave me period pains like I'd never had in my life before! They're "sold" as the cure to all women's problems but the more I read on this board the more I realise I was not the only one to suffer.

JamieFrasersLover · 06/04/2021 10:09

Thanks for the replies.
I'm really fed up with it already, part of me wants to stick at it to see if it helps me like it did you spring. The other wants it out as like you Emma the period pains are awful.
You are right, they are "sold" as a cure all. Personally I think it's a way to get rid of us by saying oh you have to give it up to 12 months to settle. I mean what woman should be expected to put up with pain for 12 months.
I think I'm going to give it a few more weeks and then get it out if I'm still like this. I'm struggling to concentrate at work because all I can think of is how much my belly hurts.

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 06/04/2021 11:21

"My periods are absolutely hell normally, to the point I want to rip my own womb out with the pain but they've found no endometriosis so they said to try this mirena".

Did you have a laparoscopy?.

My guess is that the surgeon could have missed some endometriosis present. It does not always present typically and it can sometimes take a highly skilled surgeon to spot it.

JamieFrasersLover · 06/04/2021 12:08

Attila
This confused me to as they medically induced the menopause in me last June so I've had no periods or pain since. Then they did the laparoscopy 2 weeks ago while I'm still in the menopause so it's no wonder they found nothing. They did find scarring around there which was attached to my bowel which in my opinion seems like it could be endometriosis but due to the menopause there is nothing fresh if that makes any sense at all.
I've now had this coil fitted which is giving me agony. My poor womb is probably like what the hell, I'm in the menopause but now you've fitted a hormonal coil. Shall I bleed or not?
I'm having the coil out tomorrow.
I just want a hysterectomy but they won't give me one. I can't face another 20 years of this pain.

OP posts:
R0llonspring · 09/04/2021 15:35

Jamie, how did you get on, have you had it removed? How is your pain?

JamieFrasersLover · 09/04/2021 16:10

Hi Roll
I did have it removed 2 days ago. The pain went instantly. I'm feeling so much better now.
Thanks for asking x

OP posts:
R0llonspring · 11/04/2021 11:24

That's great news, take care Smile

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.