My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Has anyone found any natural ways to deal with PMDD?

6 replies

Danity1000 · 01/04/2021 13:21

Not a prescription.
I take a higher dose of my ADHD meds (methylphenidate) during my Luteal phase which does help but it still feels awful and I really don't want to try another prescription for it.

What works for you, if you found anything, please? x

OP posts:
AnotherEmma · 01/04/2021 13:22

Agnus Castus

Danity1000 · 01/04/2021 13:35

Thanks, I'll look into that tonight

OP posts:
CatNamedEaster · 01/04/2021 13:37

Years ago I bought Marilyn Glenville's book about natural ways to beat PMS as I was suffering from PMDD. It was really helpful, covering different symptoms that can be helped with different actions, rather than overwhelming you with "take these 100 things to help everything". The main parts I took to were cutting out sugar, caffeine and processed food (it also recommends cutting alcohol and smoking but I already didn't do those). It also covers loads of vitamins/supplements and alternative treatments (with opinion about how likely they are to actually help).

It was quite hard to stick to the food part of it but I did see a big positive effect and even now I see a marked difference in my symptoms if my month has been slightly unhealthier.

Sorry if your symptoms are so serious that this sounds too basic, but hopefully it might contain some useful info.

CatNamedEaster · 01/04/2021 13:42

Just read back, i've made it sound REALLY basic. It isn't! For instance she says cutting dairy can help some symptoms, whereas cutting caffeine helps others. She talks a lot about the theory and biological side of it giving you an insight into why certain symptoms might happen so any action you take to try and help feels logical so I think that's why I have remained determined to stick to it all this time later.

Danity1000 · 01/04/2021 21:20

CatNamedEaster, "Overcoming Pms The Natural Way"? I just ordered a used copy for £5. Thank you so much for sharing that, looking forward to reading.

OP posts:
CatNamedEaster · 01/04/2021 21:29

Mine was Natural Solutions to PMS and the ISBN code is 0-7499-2211-7 but it was published in 2002 so she has probably updated it a few times since Smile.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.