My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Can someone look at my nipple please? (Breastfeeding related)

11 replies

Peridotty · 28/03/2021 23:55

It’s been hurting a lot for about 2 weeks especially when my baby latches. I noticed a pimple there that’s really tender and it’s got a bit of yellow there. I can’t squeeze any pus out or anything. Now it is throbbing and I can’t concentrate! The pain is only in my nipple. What is it please?

Can someone look at my nipple please? (Breastfeeding related)
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

4 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
50%
You are NOT being unreasonable
50%
Draineddraineddrained · 28/03/2021 23:58

Milk bleb love. Info here: kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Oldraver · 28/03/2021 23:59

Could be a milk pleb. I think the milk duct blocks and this is on the surface

I would try hand expressing

SinusOhSinus · 29/03/2021 00:01

This is why I love mumsnet. Two correct answers in three mins.

I went to the doctors once with one and she had no clue. It was only post doctors googling and Mumsnet that sorted me.

Peridotty · 29/03/2021 00:04

I knew I could rely on mumsnet! Thank you! Do I need antibiotics?

OP posts:
FakeFruitShoot · 29/03/2021 00:11

Hi, using a warm flannel and then sort of hand expressing the nipples should clear it. If there's any gunk there it might be bloody or pus stained - it is safe for your baby to feed and as long as there's not big amounts of fresh blood - in which case contact GP - it's likely to pass quickly. Start the next few feeds on the affected side and seek GP support if you start to feel unwell in yourself - flu-ey or high temp. Good luck!

Duskydai · 29/03/2021 03:11

Bless you, milk blebs are awful but the relief is amazing when they finally burst. You can try to hand express and force the milk out of it, if that doesn’t work then a hot flannel and as a very last resort, if you can bear it, use a sterilised needle to pop it (I know I know it’s grim). If it can be burst with pressure (not all of them do) another thing that always shifts any blocked milk for me is to fill a haaka pump with 1 tablespoon epsom salt diluted in warm water and attach it to the boob for 15 min. Then rinse boob off and dangle feed baby. Repeat process again if needed.

Currently doing a night feed myself! Good luck OP

Duskydai · 29/03/2021 03:13

Forgot to say sorry no antibiotics usually needed unless it develops a blocked milk duct behind it and leads to mastitis. But do be careful your hands are clean when expressing and obviously if using a needle that needs to be sterilised (can use boiling water) and you might want to talk to pharmacist / GP about an antibiotic in that case

canihaveacoffeeplease · 29/03/2021 03:33

it's a milk bleb. I've had them twice and they are excruciating, it felt like my nipple was being stabbed with needles every time she fed. I tried everything they recommend, hot flannel, hand expressing, olive oil etc. I even tried to pierce it with a clean needle. Do NOT do that, it only made it worse. The only thing that worked for me was expressing off that side and feeding off the other only for 2 days, and it gradually got less bad so I could let her feed, then it went away over about a week. You have my massive sympathy, it is so sore.

GLTM · 29/03/2021 04:36

I would see your GP as the pain you describe suggests you may need antibiotics and so may your baby. Because this is feeding related it's very important and urgent with the GP. Good luck.

GobletOfIre · 29/03/2021 05:31

Hot bath, get that boob nicely immersed, then hand express under the water.

Peridotty · 30/03/2021 06:08

Thank you for all your replies! I did massage it under a hot shower. It didn’t burst. I got some tweezers and tried to tweeze away some dry skin over the pimple but couldn’t express milk from it. For some reason though it hurts a lot less when I feed my baby after a hot shower.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.