My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Has anyone ever had a water birth???

39 replies

ndinah · 09/03/2021 19:31

Hey everyone, I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant and I'm considering having a water birth as I've heard it helps with labour pains. I don't know many people who have had water births, could any one share their experiences?

All responses welcome xx

OP posts:
scaredsadandstuck · 09/03/2021 19:34

I had two - highly recommended Smile

Both times I didn't get in the water until quite close to the end of my labour but when I did it was bliss (well as much bliss as you can achieve when an entire human is trying to get out of your vagina!!).

I particularly liked that I was the first person to touch my babies because I lifted them up out of the water myself after they were born Smile

AuntieDolly · 09/03/2021 19:38

I did. It was a long labour and going in the water slowed things down even more, but my knees were killing me and it was so much more comfortable. I wish I had had a cushion behind my head though.

EntreMummy · 09/03/2021 19:40

I had two water births.
First time was an amazing birth - I was in the water for all the “pushing” part of labour, a couple of hours altogether.
Water was brilliant pain relief along with gas and air and it was wonderful lifting baby out of the water and being first to hold them.

Second one was much quicker!

lambo88 · 09/03/2021 19:45

I used the birthing pool along with gas and air and found it helped...in the end my labour was prolonged so had to go to triage xxxx

Ozziewoz · 09/03/2021 19:45

I had a water birth and it was wonderful. Obviously still painful, but the relief, getting into the water was amazing. I still had gas and air. So beautiful seeing baby born under water and then lifting him out onto me by myself. Everything seemed calmer.

TheBitchOfTheVicar · 09/03/2021 19:46

I had one at home. I have to say I didn’t really notice it as pain relief, and the water got a bit too hot for me but ‘baby needs it hot’. But it did mean no one could come near me, so on balance it was good.

Odile13 · 09/03/2021 19:48

I loved it. The water was lovely and warm and felt good to be in. I had gas and air and the water pool. If it appeals to you and you’re offered it I would give it a go. You can always get out if you don’t like it.

Also, give a TENS machine a try if you can. I found it really helpful with early labour before I got in the pool. My midwife had one I could try and I liked the sensation.

AIMD · 09/03/2021 19:50

I had a water both with my first and loved it. I do think I got in too early though as I feel I slowed the contractions and I should have waited to get in.

Gembie · 09/03/2021 19:52

I had one (currently 7 weeks postpartum) and it was fab. Didn’t even use any gas and air when in was in the water which was just for the second stage of labour in my case. The time just seemed to slip away!

Only thing that’s worth bearing in mind is that they’re not that common - only an option if you’re v low risk and if there’s even a pool available! We were v lucky that one became available when I was admitted in labour - both rooms had been occupied until then

CannotOperateOnThisFailure · 09/03/2021 19:56

Yes.

One tip would be to get out (or stand up) before you deliver the placenta. Otherwise you'll end up with a farcical moment fuelled by lack of sleep and excess of fruit pastilles of pulling up metres and metres of umbilical cord going 'I'm sure it's in here somewhere' in between bouts of hysterical laughter.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts · 09/03/2021 19:56

I had one with dd2, I didn't have any pain relief with her. Although I wasn't in the water very long and I had to stand when she was being born. She was born still enclosed in her sack, my waters never broke. It was a lovely experience.

Chottie · 09/03/2021 19:57

DD had a water birth for DGC3. I was privileged to be there. The thing that struck me was the calmness and serenity in the room. DGC3 just arrived in the world and came up to the surface of the water for his first breath, then he was cuddled in his mother's arms. He did not cry, just looked calmly around the room.

Kottbullar · 09/03/2021 19:57

I had a couple of attempts but unfortunately the water completely stopped my contractions so I had to get out.
I was due to try again for DC3 and DC4 but the labours were too quick.

TheProvincialLady · 09/03/2021 20:00

I did with my second child and it was great. Would heartily recommend.

happymummy12345 · 09/03/2021 20:02

I didn't actually give birth in the pool but I loved it.
My labour was more long than anything else. I was due on the Sunday 30th august 2015, I was booked in for a sweep originally on the Wednesday, but I started having contractions on the Tuesday so I decided to see if things would progress naturally. They didn't so I ended up having a sweep at 3pm on the Friday (40+5).
I got to the hospital at 9 that evening, was in the birth centre by 10.30, had my waters broken around 2am, then gave birth at 6.58am the Saturday morning (40+6).
It didn't hurt or feel uncomfortable at all and it did help move things along (the head wasn't fully engaged so things wouldn't have progressed on their own).
If I’m honest I was more physically exhausted after 4 days and nights of contractions. I think if I hadn’t been so tired I would have dealt with it better.
For pain relief I had my tens machine as long as possible, it really helped me. I started using it at home after my sweep, then took it off to go to hospital. I put it back on when I was settled in the birth centre. I also used the birth ball to try to get my waters to break which helped with pain. The birth pool was amazing, I loved being in there and would have stayed in longer and even given birth in there. But the midwife could see I was struggling and needed to rest before I had to deliver. So I had a pethadine injection so I could rest. It really helped.
I tried a bit of gas and air but it gave me a bad headache and made me feel sick so I didn’t want it. And I knew I didn’t want an epidural. I wanted as natural a birth as possible, minimal drugs.
I did tear from involuntary pushing and had stitches after. It wasn’t that bad though.
As I say for me personally it was more how long it went on than the pain. Good luck.

CovIneedanamechange · 09/03/2021 20:02

I did for dd2 and would really reccomend it. Something calming about being in water. I found it much easier to get in the zone than with dd1s labour (though out of necessity that had much more medical intervention).
I didn't get to hold dd1 till and hour after she was born so the experience of dd2 being born in the pool and being the first to hold her was very precious.

Peasbewithyou · 09/03/2021 20:06

I did for my first 2 babies and with DC3 I was in the water a lot but ended up giving birth on dry land.

I found the water very soothing and like others have said it really helped when I was struggling and then I could get in and it felt so much better!

I would just say if you are tall get a bigger pool because it would have been nice to fully stretch my legs out!

AnnieLobeseder · 09/03/2021 20:06

If you want a waterbirth in hospital, be prepared that if the midwives are having a bad/busy day, they may well tell you endless lies about why you can't have a waterbirth just so they don't have to put in the extra effort.

When I tried to have a waterbirth with DC1 I was told a) no qualified midwife was available, b) no pool available, c) my waters were 'the wrong colour' so it wouldn't be safe etc etc. For reasons that are clear to no-one I basically lose the use of my legs in labour so I couldn't support myself on all fours or sitting and had an absolutely awful birth on my back.

With DC2 I had a homebirth with a pool. Even though DC2 was back-to-back it was far less painful than DC1 and being supported by the water meant I could move around freely even with useless legs. Just wonderful.

I can highly recommend a water birth, and a homebirth to make sure you get your pool!

ChangedName4TheSakeOfIt · 09/03/2021 20:07

Had two on dry land and last one in water. I cannot believe how different and better the water birth was! I truly regret not having a pool for every baby.
The Pain level on a bed with just gas and air felt like an 11 and I was barely lucid. In the pool it was a 5 and I can remember every second and felt in total control.

But everyone's experiences are different.

ndinah · 09/03/2021 20:13

@AnnieLobeseder

If you want a waterbirth in hospital, be prepared that if the midwives are having a bad/busy day, they may well tell you endless lies about why you can't have a waterbirth just so they don't have to put in the extra effort.

When I tried to have a waterbirth with DC1 I was told a) no qualified midwife was available, b) no pool available, c) my waters were 'the wrong colour' so it wouldn't be safe etc etc. For reasons that are clear to no-one I basically lose the use of my legs in labour so I couldn't support myself on all fours or sitting and had an absolutely awful birth on my back.

With DC2 I had a homebirth with a pool. Even though DC2 was back-to-back it was far less painful than DC1 and being supported by the water meant I could move around freely even with useless legs. Just wonderful.

I can highly recommend a water birth, and a homebirth to make sure you get your pool!

That's really worrying! Thanks for the heads up. What hospital did you have this experience at?
OP posts:
ndinah · 09/03/2021 20:16

@ChangedName4TheSakeOfIt

Had two on dry land and last one in water. I cannot believe how different and better the water birth was! I truly regret not having a pool for every baby.
The Pain level on a bed with just gas and air felt like an 11 and I was barely lucid. In the pool it was a 5 and I can remember every second and felt in total control.

But everyone's experiences are different.

Wow thanks for sharing. So glad your second birth was easier Smile
OP posts:
ChangedName4TheSakeOfIt · 09/03/2021 20:22

It was technically my fourth. One in a bed, one on a birthing suite odd shaped couch thing laying over a bean bag (very new agey Wink) one in a bathroom (sad ending) and my last baby was in water. I was kicking myself i had not done a birthing pool before. The first three were off the scale painful for me (I'm a total wimp) but the instant my belly dropped down into the water mid contraction, the pain halved. My only regret is not catching baby myself cos that could have been cool. I felt so much more in control.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

DuckonaBike · 09/03/2021 20:26

Spent part of my labour with DC1 in the water but had to get out as things were going slowly. I would recommend it though.

For DC2 I couldn’t have the birthing pool as it was in use (be prepared for this possibility) but I was getting on really well with the TENS so it wasn’t all bad, I carried on using that instead.

ndinah · 09/03/2021 20:34

@DuckonaBike

Spent part of my labour with DC1 in the water but had to get out as things were going slowly. I would recommend it though.

For DC2 I couldn’t have the birthing pool as it was in use (be prepared for this possibility) but I was getting on really well with the TENS so it wasn’t all bad, I carried on using that instead.

Oh okay good to hear
OP posts:
ndinah · 09/03/2021 20:36

@scaredsadandstuck

I had two - highly recommended Smile

Both times I didn't get in the water until quite close to the end of my labour but when I did it was bliss (well as much bliss as you can achieve when an entire human is trying to get out of your vagina!!).

I particularly liked that I was the first person to touch my babies because I lifted them up out of the water myself after they were born Smile

That's really nice. I never considered the fact you can be the first to pick up the baby. Sounds lovely. Smile
OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.