My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Ridiculous bleeding... survival tips?

14 replies

MickeyHICMoose · 08/03/2021 11:31

Following a polypectomy and a mirena coil expulsion, it turns out that other issues are the bigger problem and the constant and very heavy bleeding continues. I’m booked for a hysterectomy and waiting on the date.

I’m back at work this week and having what feels like a panic attack about how to get through the day without flooding (my job means that there isn’t easy toilet access).

Has anyone got any good protection recommendations?! Tena pants are the closest I’ve found but they are tricky to change at work and need changing often Envy. I need a plan.

OP posts:
emmathedilemma · 08/03/2021 13:46

have you got tranexamic acid? Ibuprofen is also meant to help alleviate bleeding although i've never found it all that effective. You'll need a prescription for TA but given your medical history I'd expect a GP should be able to prescribe without actually seeing you in person. Period pants might be better than Tena lady? I've never actually tried them but I tend to use super+ tampax, sanitary towel and dark coloured clothing as my line of defence. That said, on a bad day I can flood through a super+ tampax in a 60-90 minutes so it's not a long term solution.

idontlikealdi · 08/03/2021 14:13

Period pants with a super towel?

It exactly comfortable.

Have you got tranaxfemic acid? You can't be expected to function like that.

MickeyHICMoose · 08/03/2021 14:22

Thanks for your replies x

I went out for less than an hour this morning and flooded through heavy period pants and super towel (I’ve double layered both of those, I look like Daffy Duck). I’ve given up with tampons.

The consultant is calling later and I wonder if tranxemic acid might be an option, I haven’t tried that yet. On max dose provera at the moment.

It’s ridiculous Sad

I can’t work out if incontinence pads would cope better than super towels or if they’d be about the same.

OP posts:
Meandyouandyouandme · 08/03/2021 14:26

Have you tried Lilets ultra tampons, they expand sideways and are better than Tampax for flooding. I can last a hour or so with one of these plus a night time towel for extra security.

MickeyHICMoose · 08/03/2021 14:40

@Meandyouandyouandme ooh no I haven’t tried lilets, only tampax. I’ll pick some of those up later. Thanks

OP posts:
RamblingFar · 08/03/2021 14:44

I find my Mooncup and period pants hold the most. Still fail on flooding though. I'm not sure there's much that can cope with large amounts all at once? Incontinence pants perhaps, but I know they leak eventually too. Black trousers help and a tunic or dress over the top as an extra layer.

Meandyouandyouandme · 08/03/2021 15:06

I always used Tampax and then someone on here said that Tampax expand lengthways and Lilets sideways, and they do! So much better for heavy flow and the ultra, in a yellow/orange box are the biggest.

StuntNun · 08/03/2021 16:06

Have you considered a mooncup? They can hold more than a tampon so would last for longer. You have my sympathies on the heavy bleeding though, it's so difficult to deal with. I find a super plus tampon and a nighttime Always pad give me up to a couple of hours unless it's particularly heavy.

AttilaTheMeerkat · 08/03/2021 16:55

I did try tranexamic acid tablets and they were not effective as a treatment for heavy bleeding.

My flooding issues were so bad that I eventually slept on towels and stayed indoors near a toilet. You have my profound sympathies, I found that frequent changes of heavy duty sanitary towels helped a little but even this did not always stop heavy flooding and or clots from seeping through clothes.

Did you hear from the consultant?. Has ablation surgery to remove the lining been at all suggested to you?.

Serenschintte · 08/03/2021 16:58

Ginger capsules (somewhat surprisingly) reduce my flow. Maybe you could get some - you don’t need a prescription. Also those post baby pads are good, they take a lot,

MickeyHICMoose · 08/03/2021 17:35

I’ll make a quick trip to the supermarket this eve to stock up on some of these suggestions.

The consultant suggested tranexamic acid, but unless I’m going to add another stressful trip to an already stressful day tomorrow, I’ll need my GP to prescribe and they’ve previously said the same as you @AttilaTheMeerkat, that it’s not effective for heavy bleeding. It’s also hit and miss whether I’ll get to speak to the GP this evening and making an appointment is impossible at the moment as I can’t be available to talk about clots and flooding at whatever time they choose to call at work Angry Honestly, I’m so done with this.

@AttilaTheMeerkat myomectomy and ablation was one option, but I’ve had it and as success rate wasn’t especially optimistic, I’ve opted for a hysterectomy.

OP posts:
MickeyHICMoose · 08/03/2021 17:58

Honestly I’m so grumpy, you can hear it in that post! Sorry.

Ginger capsules - that’s interesting @Serenschintte... definitely worth a try.

Mooncups scare me as evicted tampons and mirena are one thing... imagine if a mooncup fell out Blush Confused

OP posts:
YummieMummyof3 · 07/02/2022 19:39

Hi I was wondering how you got on? I am going through something similar. I was assured a mirena coil would stop my flooding, only for it to come out!
Awaiting an appointment with the Gynecologist.

Mrsbmama · 08/02/2022 15:21

Tranexamic acid tablets kind of help me, however once I stop the flow etc becomes ridiculous again. I feel your pain 😞

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.