My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Colposcopy

24 replies

mulberry69 · 05/03/2021 20:24

How uncomfortable is a colposcopy? I have hpv and abnormal cells am really worried about the whole process. Do they remove the cells during the procedure ?

OP posts:
MissSmiley · 05/03/2021 21:20

They removed all of my abnormal cells during the procedure, no worse than a smear test

Littlepaws18 · 05/03/2021 21:22

I had one three years ago. It's very quick, painless and didn't take too long to heal. Haven't had a problem since.

Hummingbird18 · 05/03/2021 21:27

I had abnormal cells removed a few years ago. They numb the area first. I had some period like cramping but wasn't too bad.

HardcoreParkour · 05/03/2021 21:45

I had one and no cells were removed. They took a biopsy of my cervix which was momentarily painful but literally just as they made the cut as I didn't have any anaesthetic. It was much like a smear in every other way and didn't last long. There was also no pain following the procedure.

LibbyL92 · 11/03/2021 20:46

I had one aged 23 to find out why I was constantly bleeding.

I’ve had Sigmoidoscopy and a colonoscopy too and the Colposcopy was a walk in the park in comparison! :) you’ll be fine.

abitdazed · 20/03/2021 08:40

Jumping on the thread a bit here as I came looking for the same thing mulberry. I hope yours goes okay, everyone sounds so reassuring which is good to know. Did anyone take a day off work for it or did you go back to work afterwards? I'm unsure what to do and hoped someone could help. I work on my feet and with children and also won't get a break following the appt time. Just not sure how it makes you feel after! Thanks

Winewednesday · 20/03/2021 08:45

Glad that I found this thread OP, I am in a similar situation to you, my appointment is 1st April and I am so worried. It was quite a shock yesterday when I received my letter. Did anyone from you GP call you to discuss your smear test?

LibbyL92 · 20/03/2021 08:52

@abitdazed I went straight back to work after some lunch! I had an morning appointment and was back in the classroom by 1pm.
It felt no different to a smear for me! And I was only 23 when I had this done. Good luck! You’ll be fine! I’d recommend some painkillers before if you want to! X

DerekMorganswife · 20/03/2021 09:05

I've had four. The actual colposcopy is just them having a closer look for any abnormal areas. If they see any areas during the colposcopy, they'll take a small biopsy or as some PP have said, might remove the abnormal cells there and then. I've only ever had biopsies and they barely hurt at all. The contraption they use is a bit strange looking though and it sounded like someone was stamping a library book (the things you think of when your legs are in stirrups!)
I did tell work I wouldn't be in for the day. I think it depends on what your job is. I'm a teacher and wouldn't be able to leave the classroom to go to the toilet for the rest of the day. I just said I was 'having a biopsy'. They don't need to know what for.
No-one phoned me. Whether that's just my trust though. I just got the usual letter and leaflet.

Chesneyhawkes1 · 20/03/2021 09:12

I had one just over a year ago. They performed a Lletz whilst I was there.

It was fine. Not painful and I just carried on my day after. Good luck

mulberry69 · 24/03/2021 22:35

Thanks for the comments everyone
I had it today- they didn't remove cells there they just took a biopsy.
You could go to work after but I am in slight pain and discomfort I guess everyone is different but I'm going to take it easy tomorrow

OP posts:
percheron67 · 26/03/2021 23:04

It is a doddle. When mine was done I was told i could watch a keep fit video or watch the bad cells being nuked. I watched the cells - it was fascinating.

AnaisNun · 26/03/2021 23:09

@percheron67

You watched?! I ask them to turn the screen away (have had a few colps and LLETZ for CIN). Am totally chill about the procedures, but seeing my cervix onscreen knocked me sick Grin

Winewednesday · 22/04/2021 22:12

Has anyone had a lletz procedure and then been asked to go back to colposcopy 8 weeks later to.discuss the results?

Kellyaward90 · 12/02/2022 19:14

I'm worried sick. Just been for my 1st smear in 7 year and I was told there is lumps on my cervix and some symptoms I have are unusual so needs to be investigated further. I have that gut feeling that something isn't right. Just need some positive outcomes from the same situation as me please

Really18 · 12/02/2022 19:26

I think it depends how severe your abnormal cells are. I had CIN3. The colposcopy and Llts (under general due to severity of abnormalities and area of coverage) I had bad cramping and pain for 2 weeks. I don't think it was any worse than my worse period. Followng the Lttz i have gone on to have 2 children which I carried to full term. (Just in case that's something your concerned about). My Lletz was in 1999. I had yearly smears for 10 years. Then 3 yearly. I haven't had abnormal cells since.

Really18 · 12/02/2022 19:32

@Really18

I think it depends how severe your abnormal cells are. I had CIN3. The colposcopy and Llts (under general due to severity of abnormalities and area of coverage) I had bad cramping and pain for 2 weeks. I don't think it was any worse than my worse period. Followng the Lttz i have gone on to have 2 children which I carried to full term. (Just in case that's something your concerned about). My Lletz was in 1999. I had yearly smears for 10 years. Then 3 yearly. I haven't had abnormal cells since.

Colposcpopy awake. Then lletz after under general.
Whataboutye88 · 12/02/2022 19:38

@mulberry69 glad you didn’t find it too bad. I had one a couple of years ago + biopsy and felt like you, a bit sore and uncomfortable but was better after a day or two. I had a load of other gynae issues that year so think I just worked myself about yet another investigation in that area which made the reaction worse. Different for everyone as you say.

Scaredtryingtobebrave · 12/02/2022 19:41

@Kellyaward90 I’ve just been called for a colposcopy, has really hit me for six as I wasn’t expecting it at all (always had normal smears previously). Feeling quite emotional but trying to rationalise things. Sending you Flowers

DuesToTheDirt · 12/02/2022 19:48

I felt a bit faint but then I'm squeamish.

Really18 · 12/02/2022 20:40

Glad your okay and it wasn't too uncomfortable.

Lovemusic33 · 12/02/2022 20:43

Glad your ok op, I had one done last year, didn’t know what to expect and stupidly drove myself to the appointment, I found in uncomfortable and felt dizzy afterwards but was ok the next day.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Katie11113 · 11/11/2022 17:51

Hi went for a colposcopy Last week for borderline cell changes and had a biposy waiting 4 weeks for results had this letter today saying this today and got me really scared.
Colpolscopic impression of high grade lesion with dense acetowhite. Does this mean I have a risk it is cancer thank you freaking out.

Lovemusic33 · 11/11/2022 19:19

Katie11113 · 11/11/2022 17:51

Hi went for a colposcopy Last week for borderline cell changes and had a biposy waiting 4 weeks for results had this letter today saying this today and got me really scared.
Colpolscopic impression of high grade lesion with dense acetowhite. Does this mean I have a risk it is cancer thank you freaking out.

From what I can make out (looking on google) it means you are likely to have precancerous cells, not necessarily cancerous, hopefully your biopsy results will conform that it’s precancerous cells. I know it’s hard not to worry.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.