My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

4cm x 4cm complex cyst on left ovary

11 replies

BananaFlavouredPancakes · 12/10/2020 18:01

Hi everyone,

This was an incidental finding on early pregnancy scan, the sonographer thought a dermoid cyst but wants to be rescanned to be sure and said they'd probably want to remove it at some stage. I've tried to read up a bit about it but have a few questions. Is 4x4cm relatively small for these and so can it be done laparoscopically? Should/can I wait until I've had my family before getting this removed incase I also lose the ovary? Thanks in advance.

OP posts:
Ballsto2020 · 12/10/2020 22:08

4x4 is small and should easily be done by keyhole. If it’s at all suspicious they may have to perform a laparotomy but your recovery would still be quick, I know someone who recently had exactly that done for a 10cm cyst. They would try to save your ovary but they will discuss all options with you before surgery. They will always try to do fertility sparing surgery but if you do lose 1 ovary it shouldn’t affect your chances of having a family. I had a massive ovarian cyst removed 6 weeks ago, 25x30cm, it weighed 10kg so feel free to ask me anything.

Alternista · 12/10/2020 22:12

Ballsto can I ask what your symptoms were please? I’m undergoing investigations at the moment...

Ballsto2020 · 12/10/2020 22:22

Well mine didn’t present as ovarian cyst/cancer normally would as it grew up into my abdomen and back so it was very high. The first symptom I noticed was that I was very bloated and it never went away and my abdomen was very hard, then it started to grow very rapidly, within 2 months I looked 9 months pregnant. It all happened very quickly for me. When I first noticed something wasn’t right I contacted the Dr who sent me for an ultrasound where they detected a mass, then blood test and a 2ww referral. The thing that indicated it was ovarian was that my Ca125 was elevated. Then CT, more bloods, MRI then surgery.
@Alternista have you had a referral to gynaecology?

Alternista · 12/10/2020 22:26

Thank you, that’s helpful. I’ve had intermittent but fairly severe pain and lots of bloating. GP has referred me for bloods and u/s, just waiting for the appointments.

How are you doing now? Hope you’re recovering ok Flowers

Ballsto2020 · 12/10/2020 22:34

I know that waiting for appointments and results is really hard but try not to worry too much, cysts are really common but the vast majority of them are benign and there are lots of other things that can cause the symptoms you have, how old are you if you don’t mind me asking? Is the bloating constant or does it come and go? I’m good, recovery feels slow but it’s not been that long I suppose, due to the size of mine the incision was massive too, but that is unusual. Unfortunately mine was a very rare type of ovarian cancer but it was fully removed by surgery so there is no need for further treatment for me. I’m 39 and apparently what I had is usually found in much younger women.

ShyOwl · 12/10/2020 22:40

Hi @BananaFlavouredPancakes I had one removed by laparoscopy the other year, it was a 9cm complex cyst.

I had the ovary removed as there wasn't really any of it left,
I have since had 2 DC both conceived first month of trying,
My dr specifically said to not fall pregnant while I waited for the operation, but they maybe due to the size

BananaFlavouredPancakes · 12/10/2020 23:10

@Ballsto2020 wow!! 10kg!! I hope you're recovering well! Thanks for all the replies, I was worried 4 x 4 actually meant 16cm as that seemed enormous but 4cm sounds much more straightforward! I feel much better going into this next scan knowing a bit more background! If its okay, can I come back to you based on how that goes? Thanks again!

OP posts:
Alternista · 13/10/2020 08:09

Thanks Ballsto. I’m 40 and more curious than worried atm I think. I don’t know how to answer your bloating question. My middle section is 1-2 dress sizes bigger than the rest of me no matter what I do/ what weight I am, but I’ve always just been ashamed of it. Now I’m wondering if it’s more bloat than I realised. Will find out soon I guess.
Wishing you well- do you have to have any follow up treatment?

OP, you’re pregnant atm? Congratulations! I’m not an expert clearly but it sounds like yours isn’t too huge so that’s good. They found a fibroid when I was pregnant that I didn’t know about, I imagine they find all sorts when scanning! Cysts, fibroids, abandoned shopping trolleys Grin

Alternista · 13/10/2020 08:10

Sorry Ballsto- you already said you didn’t need any further treatment. That’s amazing, I’m so pleased for you Flowers

BananaFlavouredPancakes · 13/10/2020 08:57

I imagine they find all sorts when scanning! Cysts, fibroids, abandoned shopping trolleys

@Alternista haha, that gave me a good laugh! Thanks! Think its just the possibility of any kind of surgery when I've never even broke a bone before! So just kind of mentally preparing (or possibly catastrophising! Hmm) I guess!

Hope your investigations go well too!

OP posts:
Ballsto2020 · 13/10/2020 09:48

@BananaFlavouredPancakes I’m sure yours will be super straight forward, enjoy your pregnancy and new baby and try to forget about it. Come back whenever you need xx

@Alternista I don’t think you need to be concerned about the bloating, it’s good you’re getting checked but if you’ve had a fibroid in the past it could be that causing you pain if it’s in an awkward place. You’re not wrong about finding all sorts in there, I still can’t get my head around how I was carrying such a huge tumour around without even knowing about it 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.