My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Advice for pcos

4 replies

Maw1234 · 17/06/2020 17:10

Hi, first time i have put a post up for myself. I have just recently found out i have pcos and scan and blood tests confimed this.
Been off pill for just over a year periods have been irregular but between 29 and 35 days but the last one took 45 days to come and now near 6 weeks from my last one.
Im looking some advice on vitamins that will help regulate my periods as i dont even think i have ovulated the past two cycles. I just feel im always sore and tired with very little energy.
Any sugestions welcome thankyou.

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 18/06/2020 08:23

Did you stop taking the pill in order to try to conceive?.

Unfortunately vitamins will not help regulate your periods. Have they also tested your thyroid levels recently; this could also explain why you are feeling listless and or so tired.

Verity's website on PCOS is worth looking at:-
www.verity-pcos.org.uk/

Maw1234 · 18/06/2020 13:42

Thank you for replying.
No not trying to convince. Was advised by doctor to come of it as had problem with veins in leg and family history of blood clots. My mood changed dramatically when I came of it also so would never want to go on it again. That why doctor is not wanting to do much about it because in not over weight or wanting anymore children.
I will look into the thyroid test as I stuggling everyday with extreme tiredness and have four children to look after. Thankyou

OP posts:
Literallyfedup · 18/06/2020 18:55

I have a history of pcos and have never been on birth control pills regularly. When I first diagnosed my doctor advised me to take it only for 6 months and the come off it. So here is my take : pcos will cause insulin resistance of some form and this will make you tired and also cause weight gain. Doctors do advise to go on Metformin to counteract that but personally I feel it causes more problems than solution. So my advice is to take magnesium supplements. Take magnesium citrate (max 300 mg) per day every night . Don't start with 300 mg but slowly up your dose otherwise you will get diarrhea. Magnesium regulates your insulin and will also relax your muscles. It will also help you to sleep well and help with general tiredness.
Pcos causes estrogen dominance in body, so to up your natural progesterone levels you need vitamin b6 and zinc. A diet rich in these would help but initially you might need supplements. In general if you have period issue even if caused by thyroids then vitamin b are quite essential.
I would suggest you to read some research for magnesium for insulin resistance and b6 , zinc for thyroid and progesterone.
Btw , I have regular periods and my cycles are always 28 day, so may be these supplements work or may be it is just a coincidence but I don't see any harm in using the supplements.

Maw1234 · 18/06/2020 19:08

Thankyou very much for the advice it has been supper helpful.
I have ordered most of the vitamins above after i read up on pcos durning the week along with cod liver oil which arrived yesterday and was actually for dogs 🤣. Thanks very much just hope it helps with me

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.