My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Polyp on cervix

4 replies

guineapigqueen · 23/11/2019 13:58

Just had a smear and was told I have a polyp on my cervix. The nurse said it was where she needs to get the sample but would try. I have had the results and all is fine.

I have been referred to a gynaecologist and I am now worrying and feeling very anxious. Can anyone tell me what to expect at the first appointment? And what is likely to happen ?

OP posts:
catnidge · 24/11/2019 07:39

Hi, you may have an internal scan where they look at the position of the polyp and have a check up.
Sometines polyps can be snipped away, similar to having a smear test.
I had my polyps removed under GA as I had a big list of other gynae issues going on. My polyp was sent away for testing and the results came back benign.
Good luck.

GrumpyHoonMain · 24/11/2019 07:43

I had a large polyp and my gynaecologist removed it. I had to have silver nitrate and it was painful - suggest you take two ibuprofen and two paracetamol about an hour before you go. Bring a pad too.

MilkItTilITurnItIntoCheese · 24/11/2019 07:52

I had a scan for mine as it wasn’t clear if it was coming through the cervix which would have needed other treatment. As it was it was on the outside so I was referred to gynae at the hospital and like pp it was removed with silver nitrate. It was a strange feeling but I didn’t find it excessively painful.

MardyGrass · 24/11/2019 08:57

I had similar this summer.
My GP decided she would try and remove it- if it was large or likely to bleed I would be referred to gynae clinic.
I spent the six weeks waiting to see her feeling so sick and anxious.
However when she went to remove it -it had gone!
Sometimes the taking of the smear can dislodge the polyp.
My understanding is the actual polyp has no nerve supply so it doesn't hurt coming off but generally a good blood supply so there can be a lot of bleeding.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.