My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Experience of mirena coil (coming from zero hormone intervention)

6 replies

Shoeshelpplease · 22/11/2019 09:12

Hi, I have just had a mirena coil inserted as part of ongoing treatment for endrimetriosis.

I was just wondering if I can ask your experiences of the changes anybody has noticed following insertion. I am particularly interested in any weight differences and ability to sleep.

I am peri menopausal but have had no intervention with hormones for many many years, no pill, HRT etc.

Would be interested to hear your experiences, good or bad.

Thanks

OP posts:
thunderandlightening35 · 24/11/2019 12:46

Hi, I had the mirena put in a few years ago, I'm sorry to say but it didn't suit me at all, and 6 months later I had to practically beg to have it removed.
I put a lot of weight on with it, I just didn't like it at all.
Give yourself some time to get used to it and hopefully it'll be a better experience for you.
Everyone I have spoken to who have had it, really seem to get on with it, so I wish you luck

juneshowers19 · 26/11/2019 06:02

I had one put in on Thursday and woke up at 4am this morning totally consumed with anxiety....by 5am I was trying to take it out myself!

SmartyPants0 · 26/11/2019 06:12

I had one to help alleviate my heavy periods. No real discomfort having it inserted. I did have spotting/discharge for about 3/4 months then everything settled down. No weight gain or mood swings, in fact it helped with my pmt. No problems sleeping that I remember. I'm on my second one.

TheGirlFromStoryville · 26/11/2019 06:29

I had one about 18 years ago and loved it, it stopped my periods after 2 months and had no side effects.
Had another put in after Ds was born so 12 years ago and I had constant bleeding for a few months, weight gain, tender breasts etc and then it spontaneously expelled itself. Didn't bother getting another as DH then got the snip.

RoseReally · 26/11/2019 06:33

I've had 3, about to get 4th put in. Love it as it stops my period. With the first one, I sometimes would get very tender breasts. Haven't noticed any other side effects.

littlebillie · 26/11/2019 06:54

I have it and it's okay better than the alternative

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.