My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

What questions should I ask?

0 replies

HeatedDryer · 06/11/2019 17:36

I wasn't sure whether to post here or on the menopause board.
I'll explain the whole situation and would be really grateful if anyone can suggest what questions I should ask at my doctors appointment next week.
I'm 45 and have been experiencing what I am fairly certain are peri menopause symptoms for a couple of years now. The main one is anxiety which presents as physical symptoms, racing heart, churning stomach, sensation of lump in throat, gagging when its really bad. I have no logical reason to feel this way, my life is not particularly stressful, only work part time, happily married, two DS who are getting older and more independent - logically no real reason to have these symptoms and yet they persist.
I also on occasion get hot flushes/night sweats, brain fog, trouble getting off to sleep, waking up early. Very tearful/grumpy when pre menstrual. Put on weight due to comfort eating. Occasional visual migraines.

I am still having light periods and am on combined contraceptive pill.

About 6 months ago I went to the Gp with these symptoms (apart from the migraine which is a more recent development). She suggested anti depressants, saying I was too young for HRT and also because I was still having regular periods she wouldn't be able to give me HRT anyway. I decided I didn't want to go on anti depressants and struggled on. This morning I went to see the nurse to get a pill check and my next 6 months pill prescription. The minute I told her about the migraines she said she would need to speak to the GP. We then spoke about all my other symptoms, I did get tearful as its been going on so long and I am fed up of feeling this way. I now have an appointment to discuss all of the above with the same GP next week. I don't really know what to ask for, I know anti depressants are not necessarily the best for peri meno symptoms, but I would try them if they would help me feel more normal again.

Sorry that was so long! Any advice very gratefully received.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.