My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Back acne help ?!

23 replies

mrssunshinexxx · 15/09/2019 08:16

Hello, does any one else suffer from back acne or has done in the past if so what got rid of it or even helped they are so red and painful I am using some 11% cream from over the counter twice a day to be honest it's not doing anything !
I have had many courses of tablets for 6 month periods before which does get rid of it but only for about 3 months then it's back I am trying for a baby so that is no longer safe ..

OP posts:
KellyHall · 15/09/2019 08:20

Have you considered making changes to your diet to see whether any particular food/drink affects it? Do you smoke or drink(alcohol)? My brother had awful back acne until he gave up processed foods, and smoking!

mrssunshinexxx · 15/09/2019 09:17

@KellyHall thanks for your reply
I don't drink at all or smoke
I do have quite a sweet tooth and eat dairy but I asked the doctor about dairy and she said it wouldn't help :/

OP posts:
mrssunshinexxx · 15/09/2019 20:32

Anyone else? X

OP posts:
DelurkingAJ · 15/09/2019 20:35

I use Avene wash on face and back every morning in the shower. It reduces it.

Be warned...the first time I was pregnant my back was particularly bad throughout. Second time (both boys) was fine. Hope that doesn’t happen to you.

TwattingDog · 15/09/2019 20:40

If you can ever source a spray bottle of Clinique Back Spray, it was the holy grail of acne. It was taken out of production in the UK, but I last got a friend in Canada to post me some!

Otherwise, dairy and acne can be linked. Same for sugar.

mrssunshinexxx · 15/09/2019 20:51

Thank you @DelurkingAJ will look into that and I hope not too I was hoping it might help it !

OP posts:
mrssunshinexxx · 15/09/2019 20:52

@TwattingDog ooh I wonder why it's discontinued if it's so good how annoying

I went and got a few aloe Vera products from body shop this morning going to try them also going to drastically reduce sugar intake- don't eat much diary

OP posts:
basicwitches · 15/09/2019 21:01

I have it but not as severe, i was told it was mainly due to when i was using conditioner/shampoo and leaving my hair to drain at the back of me it was clogging all my pores up! After a hair wash i scrub my back now! It is a bit better but not perfect

mrssunshinexxx · 15/09/2019 21:10

Thanks @basicwitches I appreciate all messages truly- but I use a bath robe not a towel so my wet hair doesn't touch the skin and I rinse my back off before I get out the shower
Wish I knew what it was it gets me down

OP posts:
CaveyWavey · 15/09/2019 21:10

Google fungal acne. Could it be that? I wash my chest and back with head and shoulders and it gets rid of the spots. Leave it on for a few minutes then rinse. Humidity triggers mine and I have to shower immediately after a workout. Also yeasty foods. I can’t eat marmite or drink beer. It’s worth looking into it just in case this is the issue.

CaveyWavey · 15/09/2019 21:14

Pityrosporum folliculitis is the fancy name for fungal acne

mrssunshinexxx · 15/09/2019 21:21

@CaveyWavey interesting will take a look

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 16/09/2019 12:58

There is little evidence that any particular foods such as chocolate or fast foods can cause acne.

I am wondering if the root cause of this problem is hormonal in nature. A condition called polycystic ovaries can indeed put adult onset acne into overdrive. Were you given birth control pills originally because of this problem?.

mrssunshinexxx · 16/09/2019 13:18

Hi @AttilaTheMeerkat thanks for your message no I wasn't .. I have t been on the pill for years I was on the patch

OP posts:
MrsWednesdayteatime · 18/09/2019 23:53

I'm 44 and had back acne since I was around 13, it's not as bad as it was but nothing on prescription or otc has worked fully for me.

At the moment I use Paula's Choice body spray (pricey) alternating with Superdrug Spot Cleaning Body Spriz (cheaper) it makes my skin feel fresher, less oily and spots seem to heal faster. I also like to use an antibac bar soap in the shower (detol make one) and also like to wash my back with Original Source Mint and Tea Tree shower gel.

I used to take a classy Omega3 suppliment and I think that also helped (think it was called Lionheart?) but it was expensive and I've not been able to bring myself to reorder yet

mrssunshinexxx · 19/09/2019 07:27

@MrsWednesdayteatime thanks for your message it's so difficult isn't it it really affects my confidence and the clothes I wear

I'm currently using benzoyl acid 11% cream from chemist and tea tree oil from body shop and a tee tree wash for in the shower religiously using all of it twice a day

The tablets I get from the doctors that I have to take for 6 months work butnonly for about 3/4 months then they come back
I think after I have first baby I may try roaccutane x

OP posts:
Seventytwoseventythree · 19/09/2019 07:43

I second an exfoliating spray like Paula’s Choice but they are expensive. If it’s an area you can reach then The Ordinary do a glycolic acid toner which does the same thing using AHAs instead of BHAs, which is about £8 for a big bottle. So more cost effective than Paula’s choice, but you have to wipe it on with a cotton pad. However now I am writing this actually there’s no reason you couldn’t decant it into a spray bottle which is something I may now try!

mrssunshinexxx · 19/09/2019 07:50

I will definitely look into this Paula's choice spray I don't care how much it costs if it gets rid it gets me so down x

OP posts:
MrsWednesdayteatime · 19/09/2019 10:15

I would buy the full range of Paula's Choice if I could afford it, but the body spray lasts ages so I don't mind getting that.

It does really mess with your self esteem Mrs Sunshine some Gps have been less than sympathetic over the years, my skin is a bit better now and I've sort of made peace with it.

But over the years it's stopped me:

• Going for bra fittings
    *Swimming
    *Wearing evening wear
    *Getting a free pregnancy message
    *Wearing thin white tops incase I bleed

And makes me feel really bad when:
    *Changing at the gym
    *Choosing summer clothes
    *Sleeping in hotel sheets (some spots always bleed)
    *Visiting the osteopath

I swim now, but would still never wear a spaghetti strap top in the summer.

Just keep on trying, there's bound to be something out there that works, it's just finding it x
MrsWednesdayteatime · 19/09/2019 10:17

*pregnancy message = pregnancy massage

mrssunshinexxx · 19/09/2019 13:04

@MrsWednesdayteatime your post resonates with me so much I'm so conscious of people seeing them including my husband it's very sad :( x

OP posts:
monkey23 · 24/04/2020 16:30

Oh dear god I feel your pain. I have suffered from back acne since my teens and I’m 46 now. I’ve had a lifetime of Wearing high neck tops and dresses to cover my skin. I was so fed up one evening I was searching Online as I have done many times to try and find something to help when I found an article mentioning both the paulas choice product and the super drugs Product. It was a Thursday evening and I got in the car and drove to Superdrug and bought 4 bottles of the stuff, It’s usually buy one, get one half price. It’s amazing stuff and I have tried everything including medication. It’s called Superdrug Deep Action Back Spray It’s £3.50 for 150ml . I have been using it for about 8 months now and I wish I had come across it years ago.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

monkey23 · 24/04/2020 16:35

Oh should have mentioned it’s quite smelly when you are spraying it so hold you breath but it dries quickly and I would happily deal with a few seconds of that for the results .

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.