My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Breast Clinic (lump investigation) - could anyone answer a quick question please?

21 replies

MenopausalBuffoon · 24/08/2019 10:09

My GP has referred me to the hospital breast clinic following my discovery of a small breast lump and minor change to nipple. GP has said he doesn't think it looks suspicious but wants to be on the safe side.

I've had the appointment letter through and it says to allow up to four hours! Googling suggests a number of tests they might do - physical examination, mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy.

My question is, is it normal to have all the tests, or is it likely if they find nothing to worry about on the initial examination, I will be able to go home after that?

Any advice appreciated.

OP posts:
Aposterhasnoname · 24/08/2019 10:13

I’ve been twice. You’ll definitely have a physical examination, and a mammogram, then it depends from there, I was sent for an ultrasound both times, then they drained the cysts that were found during said ultrasound. After that, another quick consultation with the doctor then sent on my way.

Evenstar · 24/08/2019 10:17

I had all of those when I attended, it wasn’t too bad. The results came through quite quickly and thankfully it was just some calcium deposits.

MenopausalBuffoon · 24/08/2019 10:21

Thank you for your replies. It's good to hear the results come through quite quickly. I've been worrying about this for some time and finally plucked up the courage to go to the GP, and I just want to know now, as I am the type of person who always imagines the worst.

OP posts:
gingercat02 · 24/08/2019 10:37

I have just been for investigation of 2 lumps, found on my first bloody mamogram. Both fine thankfully.
I had another mamogram, saw doc to discuss, she then did physical exam and an ultrasound. I then had biopsies done on both. I was there from 8:30 -12:15. Hope all is OK OP

MenopausalBuffoon · 24/08/2019 10:42

Thank you, gingercat - that doesn't sound too bad. My lump is quite small but what's worrying me is that my breast has changed in texture if that makes any sense. It's become crepey and seems to be hanging differently, although not to a degree that would be obvious to an outsider - I just know it feels different, and the worry has kicked in!

OP posts:
Zippetydoodahzippetyay · 24/08/2019 11:45

I have had this happen a couple of times. Once they did ultrasound (apparently if you are young and have dense breasts they prefer to ultrasound than mammogram). The first time, ultrasound showed it was just a cyst. Second time, they couldn't 100% determine from ultrasound so I was sent for a biopsy. Was an easy process and results came back within a few days.

MenopausalBuffoon · 24/08/2019 11:53

I'm definitely not young! It's reassuring to hear the the process sounds so quick, as the waiting and worrying is awful.

OP posts:
gingercat02 · 24/08/2019 17:53

You should have an appt with in 2 week Menopausal, if you are in England it's called a "2 week wait" referral for any suspected cancers. I had a week between my referral letter and my appointment felt sick the whole time so I know where you are coming from 🤞

Minxmumma · 25/08/2019 18:57

Assuming you have been referred under the 2 week wait scheme in the UK, yes they will do some if not all of the tests.
From lots of experience,
They will examine you to cross check the GPs referral details and confirm the problem.
Mammogram
Ultrasound possibly with a biopsy (doesn't hurt as they numb the area first) if there is anything dubious.
They might want a blood test.
Locally ours then bump you back to clinic the same day for provisional results - most consultants will have a fair idea although confirmation may need to wait for pathology results.

It does take a while but is all done on one day.

Please remember the staff are well used to ladies (and gents) being anxious, upset and nervous and are usually totally lovely. Write down any questions you have as it's easy to forget on the day.

Harleyisme · 25/08/2019 19:01

The call breast clinics the one stop shop as in they get ot all done whole your there like mammorgram ultra sound ect. Mine was 2 hours in all i went got examined sent for ultrasound due to be 32 and too young for a mammogram then sent back to doctor luckily for me mine came back fine.

Fortheloveofscience · 25/08/2019 19:08

I was too young for a mammogram when I went, they did a physical examination then an ultrasound which confirmed a cyst there and then so I was discharged. If there had been any doubt they would have biopsied at the ultrasound. Probably in for 2-3 hours but the vast majority of it was waiting.

TapDanceJazzHands · 25/08/2019 19:11

I just had an examination and an ultrasound. They confined it was nothing sinister and sent me on my way. I didn't need a mammogram.

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt · 25/08/2019 20:08

I had an ultrasound and biopsy (I was 25 I think and breast cancer in younger women runs in our family).
I recommend taking pain killers with you as honestly I found the biopsy pretty uncomfortable that afternoon when I went back to work.
Obviously more than worth it to find out everything is okay.
💐

gubbsywubbsy · 25/08/2019 20:09

Yes . Normal... they do it all in one place at once now.. you go in and out and wait around a lot hence the 4 hours .. it's a great system though and you get answers quickly . Good luck .

YeOldeTrout · 25/08/2019 20:13

I had impression that everyone gets a mammogram... but they only do ultrasound if the mammogram doesn't answer all questions; meaning, they may not do ultrasound.

They only do biopsy if the ultrasound doesn't answer questions...

Getting biopsy does at all not mean high risk of a problem. Just there are limits to what the other technologies can clarify and they will keep checking until they are certain there is no problem.

YeOldeTrout · 25/08/2019 20:13

ps: I had all the items & was out of there in < 2 hrs.

MenopausalBuffoon · 25/08/2019 20:51

Thank you for all the advice Flowers

Yes, I am in England and it's a two week referral - the appointment is next week which is 10 days from when my GP referred me - I'm really impressed by how fast it came through.

I will take a book with me if most of the time will be waiting, and some painkillers just in case - it's a morning appointment so I will be back to work in the afternoon. I just want to have it over and done with and if there is something wrong, I would rather know about it.

OP posts:
Harleyisme · 26/08/2019 19:43

@YeOldeTrout under 40 they don't tend to do mamaograms as they arent great on younger breast due to them being more dense.

MenopausalBuffoon · 30/08/2019 17:51

Update:

I just thought I would update to say everything's OK. I was at the hospital for about three hours - as suggested, most of that was sitting around so I was glad I'd taken a book.

I had some mammograms and an ultrasound (the ultrasound just of the affected breast) - the longest wait was for the ultrasound. The mammograms were a bit painful but I was fine to go back to work afterwards as planned. They have concluded the lump is harmless. The radiographers were all very kind and helpful.

Thanks again for all the advice and good wishes.

OP posts:
gingercat02 · 30/08/2019 19:06

Excellent news 💕

joystir59 · 30/08/2019 19:15

So happy for you OP that all is well!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.