My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Hit a brick wall

4 replies

Lamkin · 03/05/2019 13:27

After a year of hitting nothing but a brick wall , I thought I'd ask on here if anyone has been through similar.

One afternoon last year I became doubled over with the most horrendous abdominal pain. I couldn't move. This continued for months.
I was pregnant at the time and had a very complicated stressful pregnancy thereafter because of it. Was diagnosed with anxiety Hmmand an anal fissure.

Fast forward to now. I am severely anaemic, have lost 15 kgs, heavy periods every 2-3 weeks, bleeding rectally at same time. Pelvic spasms all the time that feel like they're in my bum too.
Bloods are within normal range apparently except ferritin/Hb.

I had a colonoscopy and it showed some inflammation but not enough for any concern.
Dr has reviewed me today and discharged me!!
I'm still not feeling any better than I was in the beginning!
Surely IBS wouldn't cause this level of pain and affect my periods?
I feel at a complete loss on where I go from here.

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 03/05/2019 14:22

I would seek a second opinion; you are not well and there is a physical cause as to why you have these symptoms.

Have you not as yet been referred to a gynaecologist?. What you are describing here sounds awfully like endometriosis and this can also cause heavy bleeding to arise. Pain in the rectal area can also occur with endometriosis.

It can also cause pain like that described in the stomach (some women with endometriosis being subsequently confirmed were initially told they have IBS).

Lamkin · 03/05/2019 14:36

The dr who did the colonoscopy mentioned being investigated for endometriosis, but the dr today said it's unlikely as I have no history of it 🤷🏻‍♀️
He's just told me to have a high fibre diet and no other treatment mentioned.
I feel as though no one is listening to a word I am saying. How am I supposed to just carry on like this?
I've not seen a gynaecologist since my pregnancy and they weren't great during that time to be honest.

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 03/05/2019 17:50

You do not have to have a history of it and that comment shows a lack of knowledge on his part. There is no apparent history of it in my family either yet I was formally diagnosed with endometriosis (and it took me a long time to get diagnosed with it). There is not much awareness even now amongst many of the medical profession re endometriosis, its not always considered.

The people you saw during pregnancy and a gynae you should see now will not be the same. You will need to be persistent in order to get answers, I would urge you to seek proper answers and not take no for an answer.

Lamkin · 03/05/2019 19:08

Thank you @AttilaTheMeerkat
I think I'll see my GP next week and see if they'll refer me to Gynae. Can't go on like this.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.