My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

How much blood is too much?

16 replies

DoraBastable · 24/02/2019 17:04

I presume I'm approaching menopause because my period became a bit erratic, then stopped for 4 months. However I started another period on Friday and it's the heaviest I've ever had. I use a mooncup so I can see how much I'm losing - about 10 ml an hour at the moment and at times has been heavier, up to 20 / 30 ml an hour. There have been some large clots, too, about an inch in diameter.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination but I'm starting to feel a bit light headed. When should I worry? I've heard heavy periods are to be expected during menopause, do you just ride it out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

OP posts:
DoraBastable · 24/02/2019 17:21

Hopeful bump

OP posts:
wigglypiggly · 24/02/2019 17:27

I would call 111, if you're bleeding heavily and passing clots you dont want to become anaemic, if you're feeling light headed with it I would seek medical advice. Bleeding wasnt an issue for me with the menopause but it must be very uncomfortable. Are you able to rest, hope you feel better soon. Keep a record of how much you're passing.

lljkk · 24/02/2019 17:37

You can look up guidelines in mooncup fulls (seriously). Too much = enough to inconvenience you.

DoraBastable · 24/02/2019 17:40

Thank you wiggly, I was thinking I would see how it was in the morning?

lljkk where would I look for guidelines please? Yes it is inconveniencing me but everyone's period does that surely. I'm just worried is it a health risk to lose this amount.

OP posts:
lljkk · 24/02/2019 17:46

I saw it on TV, but quic google =
10-35 for entire period is within usual healthy limits.
One heaving mooncup = up to 25 ml.
So you're wildly over the usual numbers.

reallyanotherone · 24/02/2019 17:51

I saw it on TV, but quic google =
10-35 for entire period is within usual healthy limits.
One heaving mooncup = up to 25 ml.
So you're wildly over the usual numbers.

That can’t be right? One/two mooncup full for an entire period? You wouldn’t need to empty it!

I usually lose about 2 full mooncups on the first 2 days, then 2 less full for a day or so, then one.

I would say my periods are light as well. Certainly wouldn’t say heavy. But that would calculate at over 100ml.

reallyanotherone · 24/02/2019 17:54

According to the nhs, anything over 80ml is classed as heavy...

www.nhs.uk/conditions/heavy-periods/

DoraBastable · 24/02/2019 18:02

I agree with reallyanotherone, my periods are usually light and I would certainly lose 100ml or more over a few days.

But yes, at the moment I am way over the usual, I can understand that. I'm still not sure if it's something to worry about, or just one of those things.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

OP posts:
YeOldeTrout · 24/02/2019 18:11

3 mooncups in total, then? Sounds like OP loses that for several days running.

DoraBastable · 24/02/2019 18:34

Just got heavier again, filled a mooncup in under 2 hours.

OP posts:
DoraBastable · 24/02/2019 20:03

I phoned 111 and they said come in, so I will! Thanks everyone.

OP posts:
Hellbentwellwent · 24/02/2019 20:41

Good luck op, sounds very heavy, may be a fibroid?

YeOldeTrout · 25/02/2019 06:12

update?

DoraBastable · 26/02/2019 23:10

Sorry, nothing interesting to report. I was prescribed tranexamic acid but didn't take it so far as the bleeding lessened to a manageable, if still heavy, amount. I hope it will stop of its own accord soon.

Huge sympathy to anyone who deals with this on a regular basis as I know many women do.

OP posts:
LineEyesForever · 26/02/2019 23:12

Would call 111 or just go straight to A&E as 111 will prob send you there anyway, you will likely be given something like transexamic acid to stop the bleeding. Hope you’re okay soon!

LineEyesForever · 26/02/2019 23:13

Oh sorry just read your last post!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.