My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Am I infertile?

1 reply

SomewhereInbetween1 · 14/02/2019 17:40

I have never had steady periods in my life. Unlike my mum who could tell you the date based on her cycles and always got 7 days of heavy to medium bleeding, I never know when mine will come.

Up until about 4 years ago, I could go anywhere from three to nine months without a period, and when it did come it lasted around 4-5 days and was very heavy for the first day, and then very light for the remainder. However over the last four years something has changed and I now find myself in the position of having a "period" every 3-4 months, but it lasts only about 2 days, and when I say "it lasts" what I'm actually referring to is an almost dissmissable slight pink flourish that I only notice as a result of wiping after a wee. I've never in my life bled through anything.

I've had a blood test and all came back clear and the only medication I'm on is thyroxine. My doctor is generally unconcerned but I can't shake the feeling that something isn't right, but I don't know where to go from here. Are fertility tests offered on the NHS or will I need to go private? Do I even need a test and if I do what sort of test would I ask for? I'd just like to know what is going on in my body ☹️

OP posts:
AttilaTheMeerkat · 15/02/2019 09:05

My periods, or lack of them, were also very much as you describe.

What are your thyroid levels like now? Problems with the thyroid gland can indeed cause irregular periods too as can a condition called polycystic ovarian syndrome (this is what I was diagnosed with).

I would be asking the GP for a referral to a gynae or endocrinologist; your thyroid levels need to be properly checked and blood tests redone to see if there is any indication of there being polycystic ovaries.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.