My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention.

Women's health

Hysteroskopy

10 replies

starchildmum · 09/12/2018 23:29

Hi

I had a lot of abnormal bleeding with blood clots a few days ago. It was very frightening and after an scan my consultant booked me in for a hysteroskopy.

Any experience or advise on this procedure?
Any consultant recomnendations?
I am contenplating of having it done at the Portland Hospital ( i have insurance).

I am a little scared as it us so close also for us leaving on holidays with kids and Christmas stress. Any down side?

Many thanks

OP posts:
Jappydooda · 10/12/2018 14:06

Are you having the hysteroscopy under general anaesthetic? If you are, then it's a doddle - I have had 4! They put you under, you wake up an hour later with a bit of a crampy tummy, but generally not too much pain (a paracetamol will take care of it) and then go home the same day. You may get some light bleeding for a couple of days and some cramps. Generally it is the GA that takes time to get over - that usually takes about a week.

Do you know what they are looking for? Polyps? Fibroids?

I would NOT recommend you having it without a GA - there are many stories of it being the most painful experience when done while you are awake. Some women tolerate it, others do not - do a google search.

EnlightenedOwl · 10/12/2018 14:13

I had spotting and breakthrough bleeds. Scan showed an endometrial polyp so I had hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy and D & C under general anaesthetic. Results were ok just confirmed finding and removal of polyp - that was fine and nothing worrying about it. Straightfoward enough, no issues with anaesthetic only in hospital for day. Think procedure itself took about 30 minutes but was out of it so can't confirm that!

NotaGoodTimetoBeaTurkey · 10/12/2018 15:40

I had it without a GA@Jappydooda and found it fine. Everyone is different. The scope is tiny and if the doctor is an expert, it shouldn't be painful- you can opt for a local if it's painful. I have known other women like me who had it done with nothing and they too were fine.
I got public transport home and although I felt tired - stressful not knowing what to expect- it was fine.

OP if you are having it done privately, as I did, you should talk to your consultant about what they suggest for you. It may be possible to have nothing, with a top up injection in the cervix if it's getting painful.
The whole thing takes about 15-20 minutes max.

Jappydooda · 10/12/2018 16:13

I am glad that you managed to do with without GA Turkey.

They booked me in for the hysteroscopy then didn't tell me! I turned up expecting a review of my scan results to find a doctor and two nurses expecting me to sit down and have a camera inserted, even though I was on a period. The nurse just stood there, twirling the camera around saying "Why not, why don't you want this done" - very forcefully. I declined! Luckily the Consultant was more considerate than the nurse and said OK to a GA. When I came out, I saw the lady that had been in before me in recovery - curled up in a ball, moaning. She looked in a really bad way, bless her.

fuzzywuzzy · 10/12/2018 16:19

I had one at the Portland a few years ago. I had it under GA.

My consultant was brilliant and very experienced at carrying them out.

Afterwards they monitored me till they were happy for me to leave. I have a history of low blood pressure and they were a bit worried about me.

I wouldn’t have it done without a GA.

NotaGoodTimetoBeaTurkey · 10/12/2018 16:39

Funny how people are happy to have a GA for something very minor given the risks a GA has- no logic to this! Ok the risks are small, but they do exist.

I'd always avoid a GA at all costs unless there was a really good reason not to.

starchildmum · 10/12/2018 21:43

Fuzzywussy. Who was your fonsultant if ai may ask?
Otherwise thank you all for your input. Really makes me feel better.

OP posts:
Flibbitygibbit · 11/12/2018 17:25

I had this done yesterday as have had bleeding on and off since September. Was awake, a bit uncomfortable at times but honestly it was fine. Bled a bit afterwards but stayed off work today with a bit of backache so eaten my weight in chocolate!!!!

MerryGinmas · 11/12/2018 17:30

I had a hysteroscopy earlier this year without anesthesic. The only sore bit was the biopsy really and I felt crampy afterwards. I wouldn't have wanted a general for it as I wouldn't have wanted the risk. It's a very minor procedure and I was back to normal after a day or so. I can understand getting a local anaesthetic injection.

EmmaGrundyForPM · 19/12/2018 03:18

I've had 2. In both cases I was fine. I wasnt offered the option of a GA and wouldn't have taken it if i was. Both times I went into work afterwards and didn't suffer any oain/ after effects. I had them done at my local NHS hospital

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.